Probs in Excel after latest security update for Office 2016 [Home & Student] - Macintosh

Copper Contributor

I'm running Excel for Mac Version 16.9 (180116).

This is part of Office 2016 for Home & Student.

After the last security update, I have noticed several changes that are problems.

1) Some of my files will open as tiny windows in the lower left hand corner of my screen.  However, if I save those particular files as ".xlsm" format and then try again, I don't have the problem when I open and save the file.  Any clues how to have those .xls files open as they used to?  I wonder if there's a certain feature of some of my files that's throwing things off because it doesn't happen with all my files?

2) Each time I do a save of these same particular files with extension ".xls", I get an alert asking me if I'm sure I want to save it in the older format  ["Some features in your workbook might be lost if you save it as Excel 97-2004 Workbook (.xls)."].  Any clue what the feature could be?  Perhaps a Macro I have created ?

3) When I try and save these .xls files with .xlsx format, I get an alert asking:  

The following features cannot be saved in macro-free workbooks:

• VB project
To save a file with these features, click No, and then choose a macro-enabled file type in the File Type list. 

[That's when I can successfully save when I save as .xlsm format]

What is this "VB project" and is there a way to "get rid of it" and still keep my macros ?

Thanks for your help!

3 Replies
1. I think if you resize the windows and save it should remember that.
2. Those are all features added to Excel in versions after Excel 97 to 2003. Excel does give you information what those are in that same dialog and it even enables you to save those to a list.
3. Macro's are kept in a contraption called the VBProject which lives inside the Excel file's dungeons. xlsx file by design do not contain macros. Ever. This is what makes them safe because if someone does manage to shoe-horn a vbproject into an xlsx file Excel will barf and prevent those macro's from running. SO to keep your macro's use xlsm.
Thank you so much for taking the time to answer the questions.

1. I tried that, and once the preferences "stuck," but then the window reverted to that small corner size. This is only for certain ".xls" files ! But not with the new "xlsm" file that I created.

2. I have macros in a number of files, but it's only one file that's coughing up the alert, so I'm wondering what's in that particular file !

3. It's odd that I can save macros in a file with "xls" extension, but not a file with "xlsx" extension! I have been using "xls" for so many years, I didn't know this! But it was only with this recent update that I am getting an annoying alert popup each time before saving my files. Looks like I'm going to have to enter the 21st century and make the switch to "xlsm" to avoid all these annoyances!
Yes upgrading your files to the xlsm format is a very good idea. You can even tell Excel (in File, Options, save tab) that xlsm is your default file format.