Mailbox and other printer-specific settings are saved with an Excel file

Copper Contributor

Hi all,

A client has some issues after they updated to Office 2016. When she prints a shared document, the print goes to the printer mailbox of her colleague, instead of her own. Seems Excel is retaining the print settings of the person who created / saved it.

I found this Microsoft support document (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/829766/mailbox-and-other-printer-specific-settings-are-save...) and discovered this issue has been present in all previous Office suites. But there are not entries for Office 2016. Will the same registry change just work, if you put it in the Office\16.0 subkey?

Does anyone have experience with this matter and knows a simple solution for this?

Thanks!

3 Replies

No one ever encountered this issue?

@Johan Janssen 

I have the same issue with our associates sharing Excel worksheets and it prints into the creator's mailbox.  The registry option doesn't seem to work in Office 365/Excel 2016/Excel 2019.  So far, the only two workarounds, I've uncovered, are

• The creator must change their default printer, open the workbook, click File >> Print >>Cancel, and then click File >> Save
  • The person printing must remember to go into Printing Properties and change the printer mailbox

@Johan Janssen Yes, i do have same issue. So far i have not found solution.