INDEX APPROXIMATE MATCH OR WILDCARD

Copper Contributor

I'm trying to have my spreadsheets scan credit card statement transactions and automatically categorize them from an index of tax categories.

I listed many keywords that should correspond to each tax category, and set the match to approximate, hoping it would be smart enough to find the keyword nested within the lengthy transaction description, but it seems to fail when my index list is large.

The screenshot shows what I mean.

Beyond fixing this error, it would also be amazing if I could add a SUMIF or SUMIFS function to calculate the total for each tax category after the index and approximate match functions have automatically categorized the expense. If the latter is not possible, I already have a successful SUMIF function that I could run separately on the INDEX MATCH results

Screen Shot 2019-10-19 at 11.24.02 AM.png

4 Replies
Try this:
=IFNA(LOOKUP(2,1/(
COUNTIF(C58,”*”&F$52:F$261&”*”)),
G$52:G$261),
“”)

@Twifoo  thank you for your help! However, I'm getting a parse error

Maybe let's start with just having it automatically categorize and forget about the summation part.

Screen Shot 2019-10-20 at 3.13.09 PM.png

@rendarcjb 

Are you on Excel or Google Sheets? It looks like the latest and it can't parse the formula.

@Sergei Baklan google sheets. I'm sorry, I should have realized this could be incompatible with google sheets. 

Anyone have suggestion for how to do this in google sheets? I won't post any more questions about google sheets