We're Listening!

Microsoft

Greetings Microsoft Edge Insiders!

Let us start off by saying, welcome to the Microsoft Edge Insider community! We’re so excited to have you here, and we can’t wait to start learning from you. If you haven’t read our Welcome to the Microsoft Edge Insider community article yet, we recommend starting there. It has a bunch of great information on how we got here and where we’re heading.
listening-graphic1.png
Our mission:
Our mission is to create a thriving community of valuable Insiders, like you, so we can closely listen and learn how Microsoft Edge can be better. We believe that having open, honest, and continued conversations with our Insider community is a great way to build a close relationship with our users.

Why do all of this? Because we want to build a browser that’s deeply grounded in your needs. Your voice is the most important piece of helping us build a better Microsoft Edge. The feedback you provide leads to meaningful conversations that may ultimately produce the new features, bug fixes, and other improvements that matter the most to you. Listening is just the beginning for us. Our true goal is to build Microsoft Edge with the voice of the Insider community as our guiding light.

Community voice

When we announced the next version of Microsoft Edge back in December, we asked a simple question: If you could change one thing about the web, what would it be?
listening-graphic2.png
We were completely humbled by the over 40k comments you’ve shared with us. That’s a whole lot of ideas. Thank you!

You tell us that you love some things about the current Microsoft Edge browser, like the smooth scrolling experience, our Fluent Design and the precision touchpad, and you hope we’ll bring those things forward into the next version too.

Some of you are frustrated with the way that sites render so differently depending on the browser you're using to view them. You also tell us that Web Standards are on the top of your mind. We hear that you want all browsers to adopt the same standards. We hear from some of you web developers that you want new capabilities added to the web platform; whether that be in CSS, HTML or JavaScript. Another top request is an improved dev tools experience.

We hear that you have strong feelings about online advertising. Some of you wish ads that pop-up would just disappear and the same for auto-playing ads. While others feel a strong desire to remove or fundamentally change how online advertising works on the web. There is concern how these advertisements enable sites to track you as you browse which feels "creepy" and "invasive."

The overwhelming majority of comments (we’re talking thousands of messages) that we have read wish for a change in the fundamental attributes of the web. Make it faster, safer, more reliable and more private. You want your browsers to have smaller memory footprints, lower battery consumption, higher rendering speed and better stability. We agree with you wholeheartedly! The attributes that you say matter most in your browsing experience are performance, privacy, and reliability. So that is where we are starting.
listening-graphic3.png
We are focusing on delivering outstanding fundamentals. Speed, stability, accessibility, compatibility, security, and privacy are always top of mind for us. We are using your comments and suggestions to guide us while we are getting the new Microsoft Edge ready for its debut.

What’s next?
In the meantime, jump in, download the Microsoft Edge Insider Channels, and let us know what you think. What’s working well? Where do we need to improve? Over time, we hope to build healthy engagement and feedback loops with our community members.

listening-graphic4.png
We’re also mindful that our users have preferred ways to engage with us. Whether you view the latest information on the Microsoft Edge Insider website, enjoy direct discussions on our forum, need a personal support assistant via help (F1), share your feedback and suggestions via the smiley face, or just want to give us a shout on Twitter, we’re always listening and looking for ways to reach out wherever our users feel most comfortable and prefer to talk to us. We’re all ears!

Thank you for being here. We look forward to listening and engaging with you.

-The Microsoft Edge Team-

1,189 Replies

@Elliot Kirk Question. Do you have plans to add the ability to set tabs aside to the Chrominum version of Microsoft Edge?

Once you visit the site, it should show up as a supported provider in the search settings. Try opening the search settings: edge://settings/search. Please let me know if this doesn't work for you. Thanks!
Elliot
Thanks for coming over. Let us know what you think.
Elliot
Thanks for the love, @Diegorro! I will let the owners know about your suggestion for the new tab page.
Elliot
We are looking at several different tab management solutions, @Spark1305. Can you tell me more about why you like set tabs aside?
Thanks,
Elliot
Mainly because it's a quick and simple way to set aside important tabs and/or websites that I might want to see later. I would like to see improvements though like the ability to lock a tab so when you click on it, it won't disappear from the tab aside section.

Where is the Reader view? @Elliot Kirk 

@Elliot Kirk 

I d/l the SetUp - when I install this trial version of Edge is it going to replace my existing fully functional Edge that I currently have on my PC?

OK, So I decided to download the Insider EDGE and here are my first observations...

Background first - I run a fairly powerful machine for my primary PC (also have about 5 other Windows 10 machines), I7-8700, 24 GB, 2x M.2 drives, SATA SSD, medium Graphics Card, 3 monitors and 5 Workspaces. I also keep open 4 browsers in different Workspaces so I don't have to jump around - total browser tabs = 25..........

1) It came up flawlessly !!!!!

2) It seems very fast

3) Still consumes RAM, but I allowed for this im my memory budget for RAM to support my browser tabs

4) When my bookmarks were first imported, ICONs were blank - They filled in after connecting to the sites

5) UB Block Origin does not seem to available for the new EDGE

6) TOBY is a real nice extension that allows me to get my macine back up quickly because of all the tabs I keep open, and it is not available - maybe something to consider

7) I like this new EDGE so much, I am going to use it in my primary workspace with 15+ open tabs....

7) Please get spellchecker working as I am a terrible typer.....

Best, Bob

How or where do we make this browser Dark?  It's appearance is sterile, unexciting & bland; in other words, ugly.  Some of the reasons why I have never liked Chrome. 

Anyway, haven't found a switch for Light or Dark.  Where is it?

Cheers,
Drew

@Elliot Kirk  WHAT?  Seems we don't have the same Extensions as what are familiar... example: no Mouse Gestures nor AdBlocker Ultimate.

Not happy w/ that, @ all!

@DeletedMaybe, although, always found Edge terrific.  But, this Edge Insider browser is REALLY ugly.  Bland, sterile, 'flat', has no 'character'.

Part of why I have never liked Chrome.

There is way too much scrolling needed to see what is on a page, especially the Home page.

Cheers,
Drew

@Elliot Kirk I've looked through the forum and couldn't find much about the smooth scrolling feature.
So far, for me it doesn't seems to be enabled or it's simply not working.

Even in Chromium the Smooth Scrolling is still an experimental feature.

Is it normal that when a GIF is not fully loaded its all dark and pixelated (Use hardware acceleration when available ENABLED).

But when i disable Use hardware acceleration when available the GIF's are fine even though they aren't fully loaded yet ?

Might be an issue with AMD R9-280x or Intel built-in GPU HD Graphics 4600?

Also Smooth Scrolling doesn't seems to be enabled by default OR isn't working properly (for me anyways).

@Kexy Biscuit 

Thanks for the tip. I put it to use

@Kexy Biscuit wrote:

@Kexy Biscuit After exploration, I figured it out: install the extension from https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/idm-integration-module/ngpampappnmepgilojfohadhhmbhlaek instead of IDM provided files.

Nice job, I'm glad to see that we can use outside extensions with this browser.

@Elliot Kirk 

Good news and bad news.

The good news - surprisingly good and fast, I really like it!

The bad news - when opening a news article with one of the autoplay videos up top, it forces me to watch a Microsoft game add or X Box add, usually more than 20 seconds long.
Because of this, I'm back at Google Chrome, not periodically wasting 20 seconds of my life.

I do have an add blocker on Chrome, maybe that saves me from wasting the 20 seconds.

In any case, let me know when this annoying behaviour is gone, and I'm back!

@Elliot Kirk New Edge works really good, and I can even apply chrome themes from https://www.themebeta.com/ . But new tab page background image not works.

Are you have any plan on Edge theme? Thank you.

@Elliot Kirk Is there any possibility to launch this project for Linux. I am using Linux Mint and honestly Opera crashes many times, Firefox is great but a bit slow on browsing while Chromium takes more resources than the system itself!

If your project would be brought to Linux, then Edge would be my default browser, anytime!

@Elliot Kirk Left is w/ AdBlock Plus (Beta). The Right is w/ AdBlock. As can be seen, w/ the Beta all the graphics do not display. In current Edge I use AdBlocker Ultimate, but, wasn't offered in the Extensions for this (new) Insider Edge.

Cheers,
DrewAnnotation 2019-04-08 192210.jpg