SOLVED

[Server Buld 20303.1] IIS 6 Manager crashes trying to edit SMTP Virtual Server Properties

Brass Contributor

I have installed 20303.1 and added the SMTP Service and add the management tools.

Install-WindowsFeature SMTP-Server -IncludeManagementTools

After the installation, I bring up the IIS 6 Management Console.

If I right-click the [SMTP Virtual Server] node and select properties, I get an error like this:

2021-03-16_20-20-52.png

Clues?

27 Replies
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution
We found that doing the following worked, and can now edit the settings in the II6 Manager without errors (and without crashing when applying settings) every time:

Stop SMTPSVC service [Display Name: Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP)]
Stop IISADMIN service [Display name: IIS Admin Service]
Edit "C:\Windows\System32\inetsrv\MetaBase.xml"
Find: <IIsSmtpServer Location ="/LM/SmtpSvc/1"
Add (Settings are alphabetical): RelayIpList=""
Save file
Start IISAdmin Service
Start SMTPSVC service
You can now open the Internet Information Services (IIS) 6.0 Manager (InetMgr6.exe) and work like normal. The setting above relates to the Access Tab > Relay Restrictions section, but doesn't set anything in it (i.e. "all except the below list" with a blank list).

After setting this value you can change it to what you need it to be. (i.e. the value doesn't need to be 'null' for the fix to work, just so long as the variable is present in the file).

The above has been tested on a few new installs of Windows Server 2022, and has worked for us every time. If you have done an upgrade there are some other things to consider (seems like the SMTP service is not installed after upgrade so will require a backup of the settings that can be applied post reinstalling the service. But that is discussed in other topics).

PS: Remember to set the SMTPSVC service to start "automatically". By default its set to "manual".

Source: https://serverfault.com/questions/1088555/server-2022-smtp-server-issue

@davidmalko87 

Hey David, thanks a lot for the solution provided. Unfortunately I did tried this on our 2022 server it is still giving me an error when trying to edit the SMTP virtual server on the IIS 6.0 console.

Some of the above posts helped point me in the right direction but I couldnt get it working using their exact methods as of today 12th June 2023.
What worked for me was:
Use a working IIS server (prior to Windows Server 2022) as source server
Configure as needed
Use the GUI IIS Backup Configuration tool (note this also backs up websites)
**make sure you set it as encrypted or you will get an Invalid Signature on restore in next step
On the source server locate this new backup in:
C:\Windows\System32\inetsrv\MetaBack
-- there will be x2 files ending in .MD0 and .SC0
Stop IIS on the source server (or you may get access denied when copying)
Copy both the files in the source server C:\Windows\System32\inetsrv\MetaBack
To your destination IIS server, same path
Go to IIS on your new \ destination server.
use the GUI to restore- you will see the backup you just copied in
Click to restore - enter your previous password for encryption
At the end you should get Operation Successful
You can then configure SMTP as needed and make additional changes without getting the snap-in failure message
Hope that helps anyone :)

I had the same issue and was able to solve it:

-Installed a SMTP SVC on Server 2019

-Installed IIS 6 Resource Kit "Metabase Explorer"

-Opened the Metabase (Metabase.xml in "Inetsrv" directory)

-Exported the Key "SMTPSVC"

-Installed Metabase Explorer on Windows Server 2022 with SMTP SVC installed

-Imported the aforementioned export of "SMTPSVC" - this opens a separate tree item in MB Explorer

-Compared entries and found out that under "SMTPSVC\1" the Relay IP list was different

-Copied the relay ip list value from the Export to the corresponding setting in Server 2022 and all started working....

So in essence, there is obviouly a faulty default configuration of the metabase in Server 2022...

Cheers

Christian

The depreciation of a feature isn't being handled properly.  What should happen:

In a given release notes a warning should be given:

Please note that this feature is depreciated and may be removed in a future release.  

or

In Windows Server 2012 R2 the SMTP feature was depreciated.  It has been removed in this release.

Until it is actually removed it should be maintained.  Failure to fix bugs using the excuse that it is depreciated is just a excuse for poor product management.    If you include it in the product then you should maintain it.  

SMTP was 'Deprecated' in Windows Server 2012, see the following link:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-2012-R2-and-2012/h...

SMTP was included up through Windows Server 2022, and will be 'Removed' in Windows Server vNext.  You will see that SMTP has been removed in current builds in Windows Server Insiders.

Thank you for reporting this issue with IIS6 Manager crashing.  The IIS development team has been made aware of this thread and is investigating.

Thanks!!
Elden Christensen
Principal Group PM Manager
Windows Server Development Team

@Elden Christensen 

please dont do that- every - really every piece of software - here in my company - is using SMTP Service. Code running since 20 years!