Windows Server 2022 Unable to restart 'Network Location Awareness' Service

Copper Contributor

Testing server 2022 (core) GA on two machines; one physical, one virtual. When I attempt to restart the network location awareness service using the command:

restart-service -Name NlaSvc -Force

I receive the below error message:

bradcope_0-1630884320199.png

Narrowing down the error, i run the below command:

restart-service -Name netprofm -Force

Which results in the below error:

bradcope_1-1630884579854.png

This is happening on both of our Server 2022 builds, I have had no issue running these commands on 2012/2012 R2/2016/2019, so why can't i run this command on server 2022?

35 Replies

@NickFranklin The problem isn't with the NLA service. The simple fix to the network type at boot is to make the NLA service dependent on the DNS service. The real problem is with the Network List Service. Has anyone found a fix yet? All 8 of my Server 2022 boxes have the exact same problem and Microsoft Support has become non-existent. I opened a ticket on this two months ago and still have not heard from Microsoft. Their support is way beyond bad. 

Adding the DWORD "AlwaysExpectDomainController" in the registry shown further up in this thread has helped me so far .

@Rusty2345 either that or making the NLA service dependent on the DNS service. Both work well but neither address the real underlying issue. The Network List Service can't be stopped or restarted. 

or are you saying that the registry entry fixes the Network List Service?

I'm saying it eliminated the need to restart the list service.
Ok. I fixed it by making the NLA service dependent on the DNS service. Six to one half dozen of the other. What people are missing is that the NLA service is not the real problem. It is the Network List Service. Try it. Disable the Network List Service and reboot. You can restart the NLA service any number of ways at that point. Applet. command line, whatever. The NLA service is not the issue. Of course you can't leave the Network List Service disabled but it points out where the real problem lies.
Clarification; is the above registry entry (and found in other places on this thread) only for DC's? Or member servers also that have this issue? Thanks!

@Kyle_Hansen 

I have not had to use this on member servers but it makes sense that it would apply as the fix is telling the server to wait until it sees a Domain. Best guess. 

The whole world blows but Microsoft Support sucks so bad it equalizes the pressure. I have had a ticket opened on this issue for four months now. I finally got a call on it just the other day. In all of 60 seconds the tech said his department couldn't handle it and would have to passed it off to another department. So maybe I will get a call in another four month? There is bad and then there is Microsoft...... 

@JimBecher 
I empathize!  I am an MS partner and have had nothing but bad support.  It seems they actually outsource this often to independent contractors now.  Oddly the ONE time I had great support was through an IC.  

Same problem but the net stop nlasc doesn't work to obtain domain network

The Sunny Qi information is part of our SOP on server installs. works every time
Those 3 registry tweaks work well
The service restarting issue is new, had the issue on a Win10 pro workstation in a workgroup today and had to disable, re-enable the NIC, script it for remote service

@Dave Brunner Yes they outsourced to Convergence a couple years ago and it sucks. Now, even with Office 365 support, I have had a ticket open for 3 days and have yet to receive help. Microsoft kinda sucks in general. Has for years. 

Back to the NLASVC..... my ticket, after 6 months, is still open. Best they can do is a set of command lines that effectively kill the task and restarts it. Not really a fix but hey.... it's Microsoft. Pretty par for the course for them.

Same here. Have deployed this to every server we manage now. No idea why MS cannot get their crap together after at least 3 OS versions.
Hi, I'm experiencing the same problem. Have you made any progress with the issue? What has Microsoft supplied to at least terminate the relevant NetProfM processes?

Best regards
None. Microsoft Support (Convergence) is a total waste as a company. All they gave me was a way to kill the running service at which point I can start it again. Not perfect but it is Microsoft :)