Get an app to open this 'windowsdefender' link

Copper Contributor

So i have just updated my pc from windows 10 to 11 and saw that the little windows security icon in the bottom right corner showed some recommendations. I tried opening up windows security but it wouldnt. So i navigated to it through the settings menu and then it told me this "Get an app to open this 'windowsdefender' link". I have tried nearly every guide on youtube but nothing has worked as of yet.
i should also mention that i cant find the windows security app under the apps section in settings

27 Replies

@Lasse_Hvilsted 

You found an error - the setting should be either private or public -> it should not be at the same time :)

To be more specific it says "Not connected" on the private netowrks and "Connected" on Guest or public networks. But when i go into the menu "Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off" the "Turn on Windows Defender Firewall" box is checked on both

@Lasse_Hvilsted 

Enable, only on the public network - firewall

And then run the "WindowsFirewall" tool?

@Lasse_Hvilsted 

Everything is good!

I got the settings wrong!

congratulation!

so it should be enabled on both private and public?

@Lasse_Hvilsted 

Yes, this setting is :)

@Lasse_Hvilsted The solution to this problem is sometimes possible. Sometimes it cannot be solved. In this case, you can completely uninstall Windows Defender and solve the root problem. To do this, follow the solutions in this article: Get an app to open this windowsdefender link Solution