SOLVED

Problem with Windows PowerShell

Brass Contributor

Hi,

if I start Windows PowerShell from app. Terminal, the window appears telling me to install the latest version, but I have already installed version 7.4.0

Furthermore, the Windows PowerShell warning appears randomly in the event log with Id: 300, is it possible to eliminate it?

Screenshot 2023-12-28 183603.png

Screenshot 2023-12-28 184642.png

5 Replies
Is that version a version 5 PowerShell console? Could you type $host.version and verify? PowerShell 7 may be the latest, but you can also start PowerShell 5 if needed... I am not sure about the eventlog warning...

@Harm_Veenstra 

You're right in that their screenshot is of Windows PowerShell and not PowerShell - you can tell from the tab title and welcome message where it says "Windows PowerShell".

Conversely, PowerShell simply says "PowerShell", and not "Windows PowerShell. PowerShell also dumps the version in the welcome message where Windows PowerShell does not.

Here's a side-by-side example showing the title bar differences in Windows Terminal:

LainRobertson_0-1703811950054.png

@Alpha45 

You can't compare Windows PowerShell version numbers to PowerShell version numbers.

For Windows PowerShell, if you've been applying the monthly Windows operating system updates (speaking for Windows 10, at least, as I don't run Windows 11) then Windows PowerShell should already be up-to-date.

For PowerShell, if you're running 7.4.0 then you are on the latest stable branch and there is nothing left to do. Just make sure that within Windows Terminal, you are starting a new PowerShell session and not a Windows PowerShell session.

LainRobertson_1-1703812574782.png

Cheers,

Lain

@Harm_Veenstra

Windows PowerShell appears to be version 5.1, but I don't understand why the description of the event in the photo shows me version 1.0.

Screenshot 2023-12-29 112454.png

@LainRobertson

and is it not possible to eliminate that id 300 error described in the first post?
Thank you

The installation folder never changed from the system32 folder from version 1 until 6 or 7 when it was moved to program files.
best response confirmed by Alpha45 (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@Alpha45 

With respect to the "v1.0" shown in the path to Windows PowerShell, it has always lived in that directory, has never changed from it, and likely never will.

Conversely, PowerShell (not Windows PowerShell) can be installed pretty much anywhere you like - if you're using the MSI-based installation. It just happens to default to %ProgramFiles%.

You can exert a limited amount of control over Windows PowerShell logging by using the variables listed in the following article:

You cannot specifically target a particular event ID though.

Cheers,

Lain

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Alpha45 (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@Alpha45 

With respect to the "v1.0" shown in the path to Windows PowerShell, it has always lived in that directory, has never changed from it, and likely never will.

Conversely, PowerShell (not Windows PowerShell) can be installed pretty much anywhere you like - if you're using the MSI-based installation. It just happens to default to %ProgramFiles%.

You can exert a limited amount of control over Windows PowerShell logging by using the variables listed in the following article:

You cannot specifically target a particular event ID though.

Cheers,

Lain

View solution in original post