SOLVED

It's time to make an exception

Copper Contributor

My script logs into the CIMC of my Cisco servers to gather hardware information. There's one particular server which it seems the CIMC is not responding and instead of getting a "unable to connect" error from PowerShell, I'm getting

Write-Host "$StringLabel Error: $($PSItem.ToString())"
[MyServerName/172.2.12.167 Error: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

I'm having difficulty capturing this exception. When I query the Exception type, I get:

$Error[0].Exception.GetType().FullName
System.NullReferenceException

However my Catch [System.NullReferenceException] statement is not picking it up. Instead my [System.Exception] Catch is picking it up?

Code is:

Try
        {
        # Let's connect to the CIMC.
        $Connected = $True
        Write-Host "$StringLabel Attempting a connection to server IMC." -ForegroundColor Yellow
        $IMCHandle = Connect-IMC -Name $RackServerIMCIP -Credential $IMCServerCredential -NotDefault -ErrorAction Stop
        }

Catch [System.NullReferenceException]
        {
        Write-Host "$StringLabel Error: $($PSItem.ToString())" -ForegroundColor Red
        $Connected = $False
        $ErrorPropertyValue = "Null Reference Error"
        }

Catch [System.Exception]
        {
        # Did not connect due to connection issue.
        If ($PSItem.Exception.ToString().Contains("Unable to connect"))
            {
            # Set connection flag false.
            $Connected = $False
            $ErrorPropertyValue = "Not Connected"
            }
        Else
            {
            $Connected = $False
            $ErrorPropertyValue = "System Exception"
            Write-Host "Not a connection issue." -ForegroundColor Red
            }
        }
    Catch
        {
        $Connected = $False
        $ErrorPropertyValue = "Unknown Error"
        }

What am I doing wrong?

2 Replies
best response confirmed by JulianMilano (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@JulianMilano 

I can't see anything wrong with your code.

The only thing that makes sense to me is that the thrown exception is not actually of the type [System.NullReferenceException], but since I can't replicate your scenario, I'm simply making an educated guess.

From a diagnostic perspective, I'd verify the exception's type inheritance manually using:

try
{
    Connect-IMC -Name $RackServerIMCIP -Credential $IMCServerCredential -NotDefault -ErrorAction:Stop
}
catch
{
    $_.Exception.pstypenames;
}

Where the top-most type name is the most specific to the exception, becoming less so as you read downwards.

Here's a simple example to illustrate the output:

LainRobertson_0-1691284231699.png

Cheers,

Lain

Thanks Lain- that last one opens up the problem really nicely!
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by JulianMilano (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@JulianMilano 

I can't see anything wrong with your code.

The only thing that makes sense to me is that the thrown exception is not actually of the type [System.NullReferenceException], but since I can't replicate your scenario, I'm simply making an educated guess.

From a diagnostic perspective, I'd verify the exception's type inheritance manually using:

try
{
    Connect-IMC -Name $RackServerIMCIP -Credential $IMCServerCredential -NotDefault -ErrorAction:Stop
}
catch
{
    $_.Exception.pstypenames;
}

Where the top-most type name is the most specific to the exception, becoming less so as you read downwards.

Here's a simple example to illustrate the output:

LainRobertson_0-1691284231699.png

Cheers,

Lain

View solution in original post