SOLVED

Logging on to Remote Desktop using Windows Hello for Business & Biometrics

Bronze Contributor

In the release notes for build 17713, support was announced for logging into remote desktop sessions using biometrics via windows hello.  I have a few questions I'm hoping someone can answer:

The way the blog post is worded, it's not clear whether the 'new' part of this is strictly related to biometrics, or if using Windows Hello to log into a remote desktop server is completely new.  Was it previously possible to use Windows Hello with a PIN to log in to a remote desktop session?  If so, is there any documentation on this available?

In the example used in the blog post, the Remote Desktop connection is from a Windows 10 client to a Windows Server 2016 server.  Is Server 2016 required, or will this work with older server OS versions?

Does it matter which type of deployment (Key-Trust vs Certificate-Trust) is used for Windows Hello for business?  

I've tried using this feature in my environment, to connect from a client running build 17713 to a Server 2016 server, but get an error "The client certificate does not contain a valid UPN. . . " (screenshot below)hello_rdp3_surface.png

Any idea what would cause that?  

Have any Insiders out there been able to use this new feature successfully?

49 Replies
Hello @RossWalker,

I can't get Remote Credential Guard to authenticate successfully when connecting to a Remote Desktop Collection using a Remote Desktop Connection Broker. Should this even be possible?
RCG depends on Kerberos authentication so if that isn’t working properly or if you have redundant brokers setup, as Kerberos isn’t supported with redundant brokers (no shared service account support) then that will be the issue. If you do have redundant brokers then smart card will be you’re only alternative. For me when enabling key trust I was able to prevent the self signed smart card certificate from being created by setting group policy option to NOT enable smart card emulation then if you issue a smart card certificate through SCEP or group policy to users there won’t be a duplicate and then no prompting for a cert.
Hi,

We are using WHFB cloud trust model instead of Key trust or Certificate-Trust.
Is it possible to login to Remote Desktop using Windows Hello for Business & Biometrics with cloud trust? I can't find an answer anywhere.

Thanks

@Clint Lechner  all went well till I hit this command
certutil -dstemplate \<TemplateName\> \> \<TemplateName\>.txt

Can't make heads or tail of what to leave or remove so if my template is called

"authenticationCertificate"  how would this code above be formatted?

@StephenG 

I think they overcomplicated it.

certutil -dstemplate "authenticationCertificate" > "Output.txt"

note, "authenticationCertificate" is the name of the template within your CA.  Output.txt is simply a text file that gets created in the same directory you're running that command.

@Clint Lechner That was totally it and worked perfectly I was even able to import with no errors.

thank you very much

Any solution for this issue so far? Cant use my PIN to login to a remote desktop by when im using my username and password its working.

@Jeroen_Gielen I'd be interested if you find a solution to this. Just rolled out Cloud Kerberos Trust and having the same issue with RDP and WHfB

Hello @Jeroen Gielen, we have the same issue (Cloud Kerberos Trust).