Windows Mobile Hotspot Bug - Crashes Internet Apps

Copper Contributor

I found a weird bug when I updated Windows yesterday. I have my computer connected to the internet via ethernet cord. But I use it as a hotspot for my phone (I don't get cell signal where I am). This has worked great for years. But after the update, when I turn on Mobile hotspot in Windows, it crashes any apps that are connecting to the internet. This includes browsers (Edge, Chrome and Firefox), as well as apps like Steam. The internet is working great. I've check on multiple computers. If I turn off Mobile hotspot in Windows, all the apps using the internet work perfectly again.

My Windows build:

Edition Windows 11 Home
Version 21H2
OS build 22000.739
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.739.0

My device build:

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-9400 CPU @ 2.90GHz 2.90 GHz
Installed RAM 8.00 GB (7.87 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

37 Replies

@skresult,

Please refrain from posting third-party links as it goes against our Community Guidelines.

Thank you,

Tech Community Admin team

@Reza_Ameri

apologies, I was on the wrong screen *facepalm

I was able to uninstall the last two updates and now it works

No problem and thank you for letting us know and glad the issue has been solved.
I have the same issue with Windows 10 Pro version. It's been like 10 days now. After that update got some more minor updates but didn't fix the issue.

The update that came out today, 6/24, is also doing this.  This was after uninstalling the previous update after which my wifi worked. this one screwed it all up again

what is also infuriating is you can NOT stop these updates...maybe for a week, that's it.  But it didn't even tell me there was an update happening!!!  at least I could have had a heads up!

How about you leave my pc alone and I will choose if I want to "risk [my] security" and not update. 

So in short the latest "fix" is just as broke.  Deleted the 6/24 update and wifi works again. 

Yes, this is a known issue in June 2022 update and the Windows team are aware of it and are working to fix the issue in the future build. You may use third-party Hotspot programs or uninstall the latest update.

Same issue here, it was working before the update and now it crashes anything internet related. I have win 10 too!

Please fix this!

Same. I work as a developer and it stops my code from connecting to the internet when the hotspot is on. Anyone heard anything about a fix?
Same problem, more fundamental broken OS features. Would love fixes to the core OS. This is preventing some key solutions across multiple desktops that I use. Appreciate a fix soon. Thanks Microsoft.
"they're working on it"

they came out with another update a week later, it did the same thing

This is why I hate updating. TF. 

Microsoft released a new update which would fix this issue.
Try run Windows Update and download and install the latest update and restart your PC and this issue will be fixed.

@Reza_Ameri Can you be specific? I see no new published updates. A linked KB from the Microsoft Catalog or reference to the update would be appreciated. 

As I previously stated, the 6/14 is the very update that started this for most everyone. Also, had you read through, you would have seen the 6/21 update does this as well.

Either way I unpaused updates, it installed two;
kb5014699 -the one you mentioned-
kb5013887
and after a restart I can confirm it absolutely did NOT work. Again I had to uninstall them to get hotspot to work.

It's still broke, there's still no solution, and they're still "working on it". I'm very irritated it's taking microsoft so long to fix this.

@bcjammerxAh sorry I didn't notice the post mentioning kb5014699. Well that update fixed the crashing issue for me, oddly. Hopefully they figure it out soon.

@torg842 

This a bug in Windows that should be fixed with the next update. However, there are a few troubleshooting steps we have mentioned in our guide that you can follow to fix issues with mobile hotspot on your PC.