SOLVED

SQL Server Network Bandwidth Limit

Copper Contributor

Hello, I Have a Problem where i have Gigabit Internet for the main SQL Server, and also on the client side i have gigabit Internet as well, but when i monitor network activity for the client application  ( written in c#)  , the data transfer only max out at 20Mb/Sec. Down, 

and this is not the same for any other projects on the same sql server, so what could be wrong here, 

database config, server config, visual studio project properties, since i can't seem to find a concrete answer on why it is not reaching the actual connection speed

please note that both hardware support over 3GB Read & Write Speeds so it is not a hardware bottleneck 

3 Replies
best response confirmed by KarimYoussef (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@KarimYoussef , SQL Server has no "Network Bandwidth", it is a Windows app as any other, sitting on top of the Windows OS.

If the data traffic is "slow", then may the queries are slow and returns only less data per period => may missing indexes to speed up query result.

thank you for your response, in our case, we are not doing any operations like join for example we are just selecting data from a table or set of tables so indexing is not the culprit here , then what could be the problem here ? also regarding the network we have 1 gig up & down in both client and server, also we deal with big data sets, so tables are fairly large , so what can we do to make data retrieval faster any ideas ?
You don't need join statements to get improvements by indexing.

You said yourself, your table is fairly large.
If your select statement has _any_ filtering (a WHERE clause), you may benefit by indexing by some of the columns in your WHERE clause.

Otherwise you risk that SQL Server reads the entire table row by row to find your requested data.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by KarimYoussef (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@KarimYoussef , SQL Server has no "Network Bandwidth", it is a Windows app as any other, sitting on top of the Windows OS.

If the data traffic is "slow", then may the queries are slow and returns only less data per period => may missing indexes to speed up query result.

View solution in original post