SOLVED

Firewall blocks odbc32

Copper Contributor

Good morning,

having to install a windows software to read a sql server database, I worked on a win10 machine with sqlserver 2022 express already installed.
I restored my database on the existing instance. Whoever had installed sql had correctly opened the 1433, and activated tcp/ip and namedpipes. The problem is that the windows application does not access the db from any client (apart from the win10 server). Investigating I discovered that from the clients a dns created with odbc64 works correctly, while a dns created with odbc32 does not access. The windows application that I have to install is 32. In addition, if I deactivate the firewall of the win10 server (the domain part is enough for me) the odbc32 also works (and therefore also the windows application). I can't understand. Can you help me?

Andrea

2 Replies

with sqlserver 2022 express already installed.

@AndreaC , by default the free Express Edition get installed as "name instance" =.\SQLEXPRESS and also by default it uses dynamic IP port assignement, not a fix port 1433. Is it so yin your case?

Have you unblocked UDP port as well? See

Configure the Windows Firewall to allow SQL Server access - SQL Server | Microsoft Learn

best response confirmed by AndreaC (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@olafhelper I solved it by deleting the firewall rule on incoming port 1433 made by the previous supplier and recreating it. I still have the doubt of knowing which restrictions were active previously. Thanks

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by AndreaC (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@olafhelper I solved it by deleting the firewall rule on incoming port 1433 made by the previous supplier and recreating it. I still have the doubt of knowing which restrictions were active previously. Thanks

View solution in original post