Delays when trying to answer an incoming call cloudpbx

Brass Contributor

I'm having multiple reports of multiple sites/tenants having an strange issue with trying to answer a call.  When they get an incomming call, this can be direct or call queue transfer, there is a delay when they try picking up the call.  I.E. I get an incomming call.  I get a new Skype for business notification.  I click on that notification to answer the call and there is a long delay and the call never establishes. This is happening for different users, different sites as well as for different tenants.  All users are using Cloudpbx.  Personally I have not been able to catch this in action yet.

Without purchasing expressroute for these sites, what are my options to speed up this pickup time?  

What could be the cause of these type of delays?

Does the notification of a new call come in on a different port or does it follow the normal sip ports.  

-I know audio and video data comes in on completely different ports.  (In the 50000 range)

Has anyone else ran into this yet?   

One customer is using Polycom bToe setup and the other is using softphones.

26 Replies

I don't blame your client for pulling the plug! I was hoping to see some feedback from Microsoft but so far there are none! There are plenty of other solutions out there that "just work" and have almost no issues at a comparable price. Unless Microsoft pays more attention to their PBX solution and fixes the issues we experience with it, I won't recommend it to anyone!

Same issue being experienced here.

Would be good to get everyone voting in the same post on SkypeFeedBack. I've noticed multiple posts for the same issue. I've just voted here:

https://www.skypefeedback.com/forums/299913-generally-available/suggestions/19252153-reduce-the-8-10...

For what it's worth i'm going to create a support request. Has anyone seen any recent updates/feedback from MS on this issue?

@Kyle Garrett this is a stale thread. Microsoft did roll out a fix that brought the answer delay down to about 2 seconds or less. I noticed with Teams, we are closer to 3 seconds. It probably isn’t going to get much better than that. How long is your delay?

I had to drop Cloud PBX due to the problem. Went with 3rd party vendor using Microsoft Communications servers, same Skype for Business and same Polycom phones. Minimal issues. I spent a year trying to pin point problem using every vendor. Polycom bent over backwards but a lot of packet capture on my own time no charge to client. Appeared to be when calls routed through queues. A direct in dial did not see these issues. I believe it is a combination of how Comcast routes voice to their own priority voice backbone and Microsoft wrapping VoIP packets in https. We had one way voice, dropped calls in the middle of conversation, phone device lockups until called cleared but locked phone heard nothing. Very disappointed and cost me a small fortune. Looking to report to State of Florida Consumer Affairs. If it doesn't work, don't sell it.

@David Martin Your symptoms seem a bit different than the answer delay issue addressed in this thread. I have run into one way audio, using a Velocloud SD-WAN. Velocloud ultimately admitted they had a NAT issue that would manifest as one way audio, due to port hopping (and the VVX phones couldn't follow the port hops). We ended up deploying a separate firewall for the voice VLAN and moving NAT from Velocloud to the firewall (for Internet). We did spend a lot of time on that issue, but it wasn't a Microsoft issue.

And? 2 years later?
It is now 2022, still experiencing a delay when answering a call with Polycom vvx desk phones. I think MS is considering these phones legacy devices which do not fully support their new Teams calling service (PSTN). They say these phone will have limited functionality. So it's their way of avoiding actually addressing it. Change the name of the service (multiple times) and call the existing devices legacy. Nice solution MS.