Way to convert existing site to modern team site UI?

Brass Contributor

The new modern team site home page looks great and new team sites get to use it.  How about existing sites?  Is there a way for a site owner to convert their site (especially the home page) to the modern team site UI?  One of my colleagues found a post to do it with PowerShell as a SharePoint admin, but it would be nice if the site collection owner could change it in a way similar to the setting for the document libraries modern experience.

43 Replies

Hey Eric

I tried to do the same. I copied the site page> Home.aspx from O365 Group and uploaded it on another Normal SPO Site. But its giving error of "No ComponentID"

Did i miss anything?

Hi,

I´m getting the same error here now so something has changed. But now you can easily create modern pages in any site by going to Site Pages and clicking new -> Site page. The best way I know of today if you want to remove the banner is changing the PageLayout as suggested by @Aaron Shropshire works great.

1. Create a new Web Site page in your SitePages library (The site feature "Site Pages" needs to be enabled)

2. Use SP Designer or any other editor to modify the page and change 
<mso:PageLayoutType msdt:dt="string">Article</mso:PageLayoutType> to 
<mso:PageLayoutType msdt:dt="string">Home</mso:PageLayoutType>

There is a suggestion on UserVoice to provide the option to convert an existing site to a modern site.

It'll need more votes than the 2 it has now!! 

https://sharepoint.uservoice.com/forums/329214-sites-and-collaboration/suggestions/33313303-provide-...