SOLVED

Does SharePoint Workflow Manager support SQL 2016?

Iron Contributor

@Bill Baer@Juan Carlos González Martín: SP2016 uses the same workflow Manager as SP2013 which supported SQL 2012.  

Does the workflow Manager support the newly released SQL 2016?

29 Replies

Hello our customers are in panic since SQL 2014 SP1 support is ending now and they cant deploy a higher version of SQL for Workflow Manager. Is another CU coming soon with SQL 2016 support?

Thanks

Lambros

While we hoped CU4 (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4019220/description-of-the-cumulative-update-4-for-workflow...) would bring SQL 2016 support, it's not in the notes. That said, SQL 2014 is a fully supported platform and your customers should just upgrade it to SP2 + post update security fixes/cumulative updates.

Yes it does support. I have successfully installed Workflow Manager 1.0 on SharePoint Server 2016 which was using SQL 2016 as DB server. Make sure you install all the latest patches on SharePoint Server and SQL 2016 and the most important you must download and install is the latest CU for Workflow Manager and Service Bus.

I am able to create SharePoint 2013 workflow through SharePoint Designer 2013 without any issues on my SharePoint 2016 with SQL 2016 as DB server.

Installing it successfully and supported are two different things. As of right now, it isn't supported as it isn't in the CU4 rel notes.

@Trevor Seward. Please clarify what do we mean by supported here? I am able to create SP 2013 workflow and the workflow is running perfect. I have not created a single workflow but many.

What @Trevor Seward probably means is that if you have a problem and call microsoft for help they may say "sorry " we won't help you because we don't support that configuration

Great find at least we now have official confirmation and customers can move their platforms forward. Some of my customers run SQL 2016 for SharePoint 2016 but had a dedicated SQL 2014, something they werent really happy about.

Well I think its time to celebrate now, finally SharePoint 2016, Windows 2016 and SQL 2016 are in the compatibility list for Workflow Manager.

Check this post - https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/workflowteam/2017/07/25/workflow-manager-1-0-now-supported-on-windo...

Best regards,

Riwut L