Column width resize in modern list

Iron Contributor

I am using modern list, and it is truly great, very well designed.

Anyway, I am using 6~7 columns, and "title" column's width is unnecessarily long, thus i have to scroll right to see entire columns.

I've tried resize title column's width and saved it, but when I go back and come again, width sizing is not saved.

Is there any way to save this resized width or setting defalut width of columns?

63 Replies
Yes, you can adjust the width of columns in a SharePoint modern list and save the changes so that they persist when you navigate away and return to the list later. Here's how to do it:

- Click on the settings icon (gear icon) in the top-right corner of the list page and select "List settings".
- Scroll down to the "Columns" section and click on the column you want to resize.
- Under the "Column settings" section, click on the "Column width" option.
- In the "Column width" dialog box, enter a value for the desired width of the column (in pixels) and click "OK".
- Click "Save" at the bottom of the list settings page to save your changes.

Once you've saved the column width changes, they should persist and be applied every time you access the list. If you're still having trouble, try clearing your browser cache and refreshing the page to ensure that the changes have been properly applied.

@jhallal These is no Column Width option available under list settings > column settings page.

There are few new settings available to narrow/widen column like: 

ganeshsanap_1-1680078835901.png

This narrow downs the Title column a bit. However, it cannot narrow down it completely because there are some hidden options like ellipses ( ... ), share and list comments options which will be shown when you hover over the list item.

ganeshsanap_0-1680078735642.pngWorkaround (using SharePoint JSON column formatting): You can use JSON column formatting like below for your Title column: 

{
  "$schema": "https://developer.microsoft.com/json-schemas/sp/v2/column-formatting.schema.json",
  "elmType": "div",
  "txtContent": "@currentField"
}

After applying JSON column formatting, you can manually drag Title column width to narrow it down. Then save changes using Save view as option as mentioned in my answer here: SharePoint Modern List - Increase column width with JSON Issue 

Note: This will allow you to narrow down the Title column width (see below image). However, you will loose SharePoint default option given in above image (ellipses context menu, share, list comments, etc).  

ganeshsanap_2-1680079295854.png

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

For SharePoint/Power Platform blogs, visit: Ganesh Sanap Blogs

I'm not sure how you are seeing "Column width" for your fields. We are not seeing that in the Column Settings. However, you gave good directions on how to get to where you can add JSON formatting to the column. So, this is a partial answer.
This seems like the best answer so far and the link you provided also covers how to drag the column width for Rich Text columns. Thanks for this post.