SDS New Year/Semester

Copper Contributor

Hello,

What is the recommended practice for new semesters/school years with SDS and Teams?  For instance, I noticed the new update on 11/17 allowed us to set a term end date and the SDS would "archive" the section, but what exactly does that entail?  Some classes are run twice a year over two semesters so we would want certain information retained (such as class materials or specific files). 

Alternatively, would a new sync with new CSVs simply remove students from groups not populated in the CSV?  For example, if Students A, B, C, and D were in Art History in the first semester, then no one signed up for that class in the second semester, would that group no longer be populated with students?

Or should we just have the entirety of every class that can possibly be offered and build our CSVs for import around those?  That way when there is a class section listed but no one registered for it, no one will be a part of that group.

Any help is appreciated,

Kyle G

2 Replies
Hello Kyle,

I can assist you with this. If you need more information please email me at v-anhogg@microsoft.com.

Thanks!

Ann

Hi Ann,

Thanks for the offer. I actually contacted support and they assisted wonderfully with this.  Forgot to update this thread for others with the same question(s); here's what was related to me via support:

Essentially you'll need to use PowerShell (make sure you have the AAD Module and Sign in Assistant installed) to do this. There are a number of scripts available on the SDS GitHub site https://github.com/OfficeDev/O365-EDU-Tools but the one in question is the "Remove-All-Section-Memberships.ps1" with the additional argument of "-RemoveSectionGroupMemberships $true". That will clear out the enrolled students so then you just run a new sync with the updated CSVs and all should be well.

Hope that helps anyone.

Best, AAC Admin