can we benefit from power automate to migrate a library which have 137,000 files and folders and tot

Iron Contributor

I have a SharePoint library named Marketing, which contain 137,000 files/folders + 769 GB.. as follow:-

image.png

now the library contains many subfolders with those storage matrix:-

image.png

and the Creative subfolder contain those storage matrix as well:-

image.png

now can i benefit from power automate to move those files from one site to another within the same tenant? or this will not work? now i can not use the built-in move action in SharePoint due to its limitation:-

Copying/Moving multiple files in a single operation has three requirements:

• No more than 100-GB total file size.
  • No more than 30,000 files.
  • File size limits:
    • 2 GB limit for OneNote files.
    • 15 GB file size limit for cross-geo copy or move.

any advice? on the best way to move the file/folders within the Marketing library?

6 Replies

Hi @johnjohn-Peter , is this a one-off exercise or something you want to do regularly?

@Jon_Lake one time job ,, other libraries that i am panning to move, has less number of files/folders and i can move them using the built-in Move To option.

Hi @johnjohn-Peter , if it's a one-off exercise I wouldn't use PA. I'd sync the source and destination folders locally and then drag and drop, allowing OneDrive to replicate that action online.

@Jon_Lake  but doing so , will reset the documents/folders metadata such as created by and modified by..

Hi @johnjohn-Peter , if you want to ensure metadata is retained I would sync the files locally and then use a PowerShell script to move them.

@Jon_Lake but doing this using Power shell will work or will not be an easy task? i mean i can not simply tell power shell to move the library at once which contain 137,000 files/folders + 769 GB.. without expecting it to raise exceptions? is this correct?