Planner Plan Backup Resolved

Brass Contributor

Just wrapped up an excellent nightly backup solution for your Plans! This Power Automate system captures your entire Microsoft Planner Plan, including checklist items, assigned names, dates, labels, and priorities, and generates a dated backup Excel file in SharePoint. Saying goodbye to worries about accidentally deleted tasks or plans :lol:.

Screenshot of Backups.png

Backup screenshot.png

Additionally, I'm nearly finished with a backup import trigger that will generate a new Planner Plan with any of this nightly generated back up files as needed. I'm also exploring the option of incorporating comments into the backup file soon. Certainly know a way to make it happen!

This automation is part of a larger course/solution package I'm developing. Other upcoming features include automatic assignment of unique project codes (you can catch a glimpse of it in the title column), auto-assignment of staff based on labels (for instance, if your yellow label is labeled Marketing, it automatically assigns everyone in marketing when used), working comment notifications and more.

I'm eager to hear your thoughts on this backup solution, and if enough people want it just @mention me in the comments below. Suggestions also always welcome!

10 Replies
Can you provide details on how to do this? Sorry I am not as technical as most around here. Thanks so much

@MatthewJamesDavis 

Great function. Could you share more or share more about how to achieve this in Power Automate

Thanks for the reply, give me till middle of next week and i'll write up a step by step process on how to do this yourself.
Thanks for the message. give me till middle of next week and i'll write up a step by step process on how to do this yourself.

Thank you Matthew. Look forward to learn more about this. Cheers. @MatthewJamesDavis 

I've generated version one as a Power Automate solution for everyone to test (see attached). Please be aware that this is an initial release with a few identified bugs, which I am actively addressing for version two.

The known issues include:

1. Your plan must have labels assigned to all tasks.
  2. Comments are currently not included.
  3. Dates (start dates/end dates) need formatting adjustments.
  4. User accounts need to be integrated into the automation to ensure that the "Assigned to" column displays full names.

As said, I'm working on resolving these issues for the upcoming version two. Additionally, I am developing a secondary automation to seamlessly transfer data back into Microsoft Planner when necessary.

I'll prioritise addressing these concerns and second automation based on demand, so please share your feedback in the comments or by liking this post.

Thank you for your patience, and I hope you enjoy testing the current version.

Sorry for the delay Bonnie, this was a big one so i've simple provided the zip file to pull it straight into your Power Automate. You just need to update what Plan it's looking at, the location you want the file and a few other obvious bits.  I've just posted the file as a reply to my original post :).  

Sorry for the delay Sunsadymark, this was a big one so i've simple provided the zip file to pull it straight into your Power Automate. You just need to update what Plan it's looking at, the location you want the file and a few other obvious bits.  I've just posted the file as a reply to my original post :).  

@MatthewJamesDavis 

thanks so much.

Hi, any chance that you have reached version 2 for this?