Search in outlook 2016 shared mailbox is not working

Copper Contributor

Hi , since we are using Outlook 2016 , the search inside shared mailbox is not working.

Also users are not able to activate subfolder search on shared mailbox.

Is there any solution?

132 Replies
Yup still broken.. Micro$oft worried about the subscriber money and not the On-Perm Exchange customers and Outlook user. Yet they just released another On-Prem version of Office. People need to have the option to download hard folders. Employees are not all in the same building on highspeed connections. There should be an official KB
I think 5 years of reported issue means they aren't going to repair that function.

@tclark_mpg Yeah but it should be fixed

found a helpful note that suggested -

a) from Outlook search options, remove outlook as indexed location, exit Outlook

b) find the relevant .ost file in Explorer, set advanced to properties to allow indexing of contents

c) restart Outlook, add Outlook back to indexed locations in search options

AFAIK, this is a per user/per .ost file fix

seems to have solved it our site

http://kb.naturalnetworks.com/article/outlook-2016-search-function-not-working-on-shared-mailboxes-5...

This doesn't work for us. We've granted full mailbox access rather than opened a shared mailbox so maybe there is a difference?

@LBramwell 

these are User Mailboxes with Full Access permissions granted. (not Shared Mailboxes)

it's important to follow the steps in order, on a per user, per .ost file basis.

once done, when searching from within Outlook, you may need to change the search location in the toolbar to Current Folder, instead of All Outlook Items.

works for us.

@Daniel Byrne 

Thank you! That's an excellent work-around. I'm not sure why that works though.

ArcReo_0-1646777884991.png

We're actually facing this "search in shared mailbox" issue. We already unchecked the "save shared folder" checkbox without solving this issue (it solved display problem off shared mailboxes). After a lot of trial, we discovered that not all the research are disabled. "search in all mailboxes" or "search in all outlook elements" don't search in shared mailboxes, but if we select a shared mailbox and use "search in this mailbox", the research works fine.

Don't know if it can still help someone, but We loss a lot of time on that @#*!$ new feature of exchange 2016.

Still not working here. We've got a call open with Microsoft about this issue and I am referencing this entire thread plus that article linked which seems to be fixing the issue for some people (but it should not need "fixing" in the first place).

@Daniel Byrne  As it will change to Online mode, the search will work. We can consider it as workaround but not a solution.

Hi LBramwell,
I hope you are well.

Do you know if there is any update on this? My customer has multiple shared mailboxes they use everyday but cannot search inside each one as they may forget which mailbox its in. Turning of the cached mode is not an option as the amount of emails they get a day is high.

Many Thanks
James

@James_Coates  we've never managed to resolve this and continue to struggle searching mailboxes.

This is quite suprising as Mac Outlook has no issues and this seems to be becoming a norm that the Mac Outlook version has more features.