SOLVED

is there away to disable reactions to emails

Bronze Contributor

Hi all,

Is there away to disable reactions for outlook emails for all the org as an admin? 

19 Replies
Afaik no, sorry.
How about stopping the emails to say someone has liked your email ? This could be done via a rule?
I suppose so, yes.
I had a case open with Microsoft and no, there is no way to stop this. They shoehorned in this stupid feature, and the only way to stop those emails is by making a rule. That's right, no-reply emails, ticketing system emails, they all get a stupid digest of reactions that nobody ever asked for

It is unreal that we pay an absolute arm and a leg for this service and stuff like this is allowed to fly.
If you'd like to turn off the suggested replies feature, use the following steps:
Select File > Options > Mail > Replies and forwards.
Clear the check box for Show suggested replies.
Select OK.

Greeting,
Rachel Gomez

This is business messaging not a social media platform.

@VNJoe Hi, I don’t understand what you mean by this? 

It means:

- Email is business communication
- 'Liking' things is a social media mechanism, not a business messaging mechanism
- Any email "feature" that's not universal on all email systems (not a Microsoft tenant) is exclusionary
- Liking emails from customers that don't have O365 gives the impression an employee did something good and the customer the impression that their vendor did NOTHING because they don't get a response at all

It's pretty straightforward.
All I was asking was how I could disable this as it’s something my company doesn’t want, the emails you get stating that someone has reacted to your email isn’t something we want either.

But from what I can see from others who have commented on here, is that it can’t be done so that’s fine I suppose we will have to leave it on, would just be a nicety if we could turn it off
Yes, I know. I'm just highlighting all the issues this "feature" creates in a business communication platform. Most companies don't want this, not just you. It's a social media dynamic, not an email dynamic.

This is an entirely unwelcome and unprofessional update.

@wcsand , I don't know if this is new since December, but per MS's own documentation at

Reactions in Microsoft Outlook - Microsoft Support, in the Information for Administrator section, you SHOULD be able to open a support ticket for your tenant to be placed on a block list for this feature: 

StarD_0-1684335443091.png

Sure, but how about sticking to "Secure by Default" and NOT enabling features by default? They throw that phrase around when it suits their needs...
best response confirmed by AB21805 (Bronze Contributor)
Solution

It's on the roadmap, supposedly starting next month:

StarD_1-1684336579312.png

@VNJoe, Absolutely agree, but I was offering a solution in the meantime: make them abide by their documentation. Hopefully the roadmap feature is still on track for release in June, but I'd personally consider opening a ticket anyway, in case the rollout gets delayed.

No, you're great, thanks for sharing this! I'm planning on requesting it for all my customers who are complaining about these meaningless social media gags on a business system, hopefully there's a PowerShell command to run to disable it.
Add this is as a rule to all your tenants for all messages in and out (put it in the header of all messages)

x-ms-reactions: disallow

Insert your admin UPN below and run

# Connect to Exchange Online
Connect-ExchangeOnline -UserPrincipalName <email address removed for privacy reasons> -ShowProgress $true

# Define the custom header and its value
$CustomHeaderName = "x-ms-reactions"
$CustomHeaderValue = "disallow"

$RulePriority = 1

# Create the mail flow rule
New-TransportRule -Name "Drop Reactions" -SetHeaderName $CustomHeaderName -SetHeaderValue $CustomHeaderValue -Priority $RulePriority

# Disconnect from Exchange Online
Disconnect-ExchangeOnline -Confirm:$false

@VNJoe 

Careful with this.

It disables the notification side but not the sending side.

Sending user still sees that they sent the Reaction, but recipient never receives it. 

That's their own fault for smiling at an email instead of replying like a businessperson. Not my problem.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by AB21805 (Bronze Contributor)
Solution

It's on the roadmap, supposedly starting next month:

StarD_1-1684336579312.png

@VNJoe, Absolutely agree, but I was offering a solution in the meantime: make them abide by their documentation. Hopefully the roadmap feature is still on track for release in June, but I'd personally consider opening a ticket anyway, in case the rollout gets delayed.

View solution in original post