Thumbnail preview (Office Open XML files)

Deleted
Not applicable

Hello,

I noticed that since an update of Office 2016 (Office 16 and Office 365), the thumbnail preview disepear on Explorer for Word, Excel and Powpoint files (Office Open XML only : docx, xlsx etc.). Capture.PNG

I mean by thumbnail preview : the possibility to save the thumbnail of a document create on the Microsoft Office suite, in order to have an image of the first page of the document as Icon of this file (and you can see this by changing the explorer to "big icons" mode, for example).

This applies to all Office 2016 software files (Word : doc, docx, dotm etc.)

There is no problems to PDF files (the thumbnail is present, and the option works perfectly with the new version of Adobe DC).

Capture1.PNG

There is no problems to .doc, .xls, files.

Capture 18.PNG

I checked up several things:

• concerning the procedure for recording thumbnails: I have recorded my files each time by clicking on the "Save Thumbnails" option. I also check "save thumbnails for all Word documents", which is located in "Advanced Properties" tab of the "Information" tabcapture7.PNG

1.PNG

• concerning the settings of the folder option: the "Always see icons, never thumbnails" option is unchecked.4.PNG

I also carried out several manipulations:

• Clear and reset Thumbnail Cache in Windows 10 with 2 options : disk cleanup and command Prompt.
  • Reset the PC and done a proper instlation of Windows 10 and Office 16 without any software (no Ccleaner, no antivirus).

This problem exist on all my cumputer with Windows 10 (PC + Surface book) and other computer's.

I also found this problem disappeared by installing an older version of Office 2016. I conclude that there is a need for a suite of a suite to an office update ...

Have other people been affected by this problem ? Is there a option that I forgotten to activate?

Thank you in advance for your answers,

P.

11 Replies

Office apps dont save thumbnails by default, afaik (only PowerPoint has it on I believe). You have to enable the option you mentioned above. But yes, now that you mention it, I see that no Word files are generating a thumbnail preview, even with the option on. The corresponding thumbnail.jpeg is simply not packaged in the document, while for Excel/PowerPoint everything seems to be working fine and you can find the thumbnail under docProps.

So yeah, seems to be a bug with Word.

Thank you for your reply,

This does not work for Word, Excel, or PowerPoint:

4.PNG

However, the thumbnail recording options are active. It does not work unfortunately :

• For Word: 1.PNG ;
  • For Excel: 2.PNG ;
  • For PowerPoint: 3.PNG.

Hm, well for me it works just fine with Excel/PowerPoint, but Word is misbehaving. Open one of the files with a tool such as Winrar/7zip and check the content, do you see a thumbnail.wmf under the docProps folder?

Oh, forgot to ask which Office build are you on?

And one last thing - you need to modify/save the file after enabling the thumbnail option, it will not generate thumbnails for files that aren't "touched".

I'm on Windows 10, Surface Book, build for Office ProPlus 64 bit : 16.0.8229.2073

Yes there is .emf file on the docx.

20.PNG

Indeed, I saved in another file, as you said everytime for "refresh" the file.

capture7.PNG

It's strange, because :

• if I install an older version of Office 16, the thumbnails are displayed;
  • if I use the last version of Office 16, and I saved a document as a word 97-2003 document, the thumbnails is generated : 

capture5.PNG

Yup, it seems to be an issue with some of the newer builds. I'm on FR for Deferred, build 8201 and I see erratic behavior with Word files. Excel and PowerPoint seem to be working as expected, but for Word only some files generate a thumbnail. I think it's safe to say it's a bug, you can open a support case to report it.

In your case, the size of the emf file is suspiciously small. Extract/open the file, does it actually reflect the content of the document?

About the size of the emf file, everything is normal. I only created a Word document .docx with a blue circle (shape).

Capture 8.PNG

I'm also on FR, maybe this problem doesn't exist for other client from other versions...

@Deleted wrote:

Hello,

I noticed that since an update of Office 2016 (Office 16 and Office 365), the thumbnail preview disepear on Explorer for Word, Excel and Powpoint files (Office Open XML only : docx, xlsx etc.). Capture.PNG

I mean by thumbnail preview : the possibility to save the thumbnail of a document create on the Microsoft Office suite, in order to have an image of the first page of the document as Icon of this file (and you can see this by changing the explorer to "big icons" mode, for example).

This applies to all Office 2016 software files (Word : doc, docx, dotm etc.)

There is no problems to PDF files (the thumbnail is present, and the option works perfectly with the new version of Adobe DC).

Capture1.PNG

There is no problems to .doc, .xls, files.

Capture 18.PNG

I checked up several things:

• concerning the procedure for recording thumbnails: I have recorded my files each time by clicking on the "Save Thumbnails" option. I also check "save thumbnails for all Word documents", which is located in "Advanced Properties" tab of the "Information" tabcapture7.PNG

1.PNG

• concerning the settings of the folder option: the "Always see icons, never thumbnails" option is unchecked.4.PNG

I also carried out several manipulations:

• Clear and reset Thumbnail Cache in Windows 10 with 2 options : disk cleanup and command Prompt.
  • Reset the PC and done a proper instlation of Windows 10 and Office 16 without any software (no Ccleaner, no antivirus).

This problem exist on all my cumputer with Windows 10 (PC + Surface book) and other computer's.

I also found this problem disappeared by installing an older version of Office 2016. I conclude that there is a need for a suite of a suite to an office update ...

Have other people been affected by this problem ? Is there a option that I forgotten to activate?

Thank you in advance for your answers,

P.

I am having the same problem since a recent update.

I have this issue too.

Rolling back to bulid 16.0.8067.2157 fixes it.