How do you remove certain mailboxes from the All Users Dynamic Distribution Group?

Copper Contributor

We have the 'All Users' Dynamic distribution group within our Office 365 system and this includes as part of the Membership settings "Users with Exchange mailboxes".

I need to remove two mailboxes from this group however when I click on the "add a rule" button it just gives me a selection of attributes (state, company, department, custom attribute 1 and so on). It doesn't let me exclude mailboxes based on the user.

Does anyone know if it is possible to remove certain users from a dynamic group?

We don't have our Office 365 Business Essentials system linked to Active Directory.

Thanks in advance.

1 Reply

Rules for DDG membership are indeed based on attributes, so you cannot just "point" to a given mailbox. An easy solution is to populate one of the customattributeXX values and use this as exception. You can create a more complex rules via PowerShell and the Set-DynamicDistributionGroup cmdlet, such as excluding certain mailboxes by Name, DisplayName, GivenName, whatever other attribute you can think of...