* Very slow to connect to a meeting *

Copper Contributor

This issue started roughly a few weeks ago and is only affecting a few devices.

When we try to join a Teams meeting on affected devices, it takes approximately 20-30 seconds for the meeting initial window to appear. Then when we hit Join, again another 20-30 seconds before the application responds, and the video connection is established. At this point, we are able to see and hear the joined participant. The participant, however, will not be able to hear us from the affected device but the video will be working fine, then another 20-30 seconds later the audio kicks in and everything works fine.

This behaviour has been consistent for several weeks and waiting about 2 minutes to join every meeting is quite frustrating.

What we have tried so far:

- reinstalling the O365 suite including Teams

- switching from the office LAN and firewall to a mobile hotspot to eliminate internet/edge security issues; no effect

- disabling the host anti-virus/anti-malware suite; no effect

- I am not able to identify anything relevant in Event Viewer, but if anyone has suggestions, please advise.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Sincerely,

35 Replies

@KeyaertChUnbelievable.... that worked. So relieved and also so frustrated that none of the support apps from Microsoft, Dell or Intel could identify and fix the driver issue.  Running those two driver executables has fixed all the issues I was having with Teams, sound volume and streaming. 

I visited the Dell website and downloaded the Realtek-High-Definition-Audio-Driver and the Realtek-USB-Audio-DCH-Driver that were listed for my Dell XPS13 (running Win 10).  The High Def driver was the same version you listed, there was a slightly newer one for the USB Audio.

Thank you!!!!!

Great news ! :)

I also communicated the same information to the Jabra Support (Case: #ES01964311)
Problem came back this afternoon. Everything was working fine and then it wasn't. I tried the driver reinstall but it didn't work this time. I called Dell Support, they logged onto my laptop, acknowledged I have an issue and told me to reinstall the OS. I'm in the process of backing everything up and will give it a go in the morning.
I’ve had some success. I was preparing for the rebuild by checking what apps I have installed and noticed that both Cisco Webex and Citrix Workplace had both updated around the time I first had the issue. Both run on start-up, I could see them in Task Manager. The Citrix app in particular has several processes and uses CPU constantly.

I uninstalled both of them and the volume issue vanished. Unfortunately I didn’t test just prior or between uninstalls. So I can’t say for certain if one of those was the culprit. I have since reinstalled the Citrix app without issue. My gut feel is that there was an issue with the Citrix installation.

Things have been working fine for two days now. Fingers crossed it is finally resolved.

@msmark The problem came back for me also :( I found this post
Re: MS Teams crashes *sometimes* during Video calls/meetings - Page 3 - Microsoft Tech Community

And so far so good. 

@KeyaertCh Just in case somebody else comes across this, I think we have a fix (for my place of work anyway). We had some success with the Audio driver updates for our Dell laptops, there two below if anyone needs them:

Realtek-High-Definition-Audio-Driver (released 2nd March 21)

Realtek-USB-Audio-Driver (released 6th Oct 21)

We couldn't find any issues related to the Citrix Workspace/ Receiver applications we have installed, and the issue still occurred whether or not we used our external Plantronics headsets. However we have found some Applocker settings within Group policy which were on Audit only mode, which since turning off out right - have shown considerable improvements. Hope this helps.

Thank you for the information regarding disconnecting peripherals; I have a MacBook Pro and sometimes it take 2 minutes to connect, I reboot my Mac and it works fine but I have to reboot several times a day! I will start to disconnect things and respond back with the results.

Mine was bad firmware for my Poly headset USB dongle device. Crazy

Hi @Alymb1595 i have this same issue exactly. The culprit is the headset, how were you able to resolve yours? Or did you completely stop using the headset with teams?

Hello @chitsie25,

Yes, I disconnected my USB headset and it solved the problem. I now use a BlueTooth headset (Voyager 6200). and i do not have this problem anymore.

@Al_DelarosaSCE 

Mine was also caused by USB peripherals. Disconnected them and now just use Sennheiser Bluetooth headset and no issues.

Sorry should have said - DELL XPS 13 9310, i7-1185G7, 32GB running windows 11 Pro 21H2

I have exactly the same issue but with my MacBook Pro when connecting to MS Team with my MS Modern Wireless Headset Bluetooth.

Without them and using internal mic and speakers etc... works like a dream.

Please help.

Dear all,

I facing quite a similar  issue.
The moment I press on a appoiment shown in my dairy, teams starts loading its detail for up to 30-40 sec as descriped by @MuqaddasB . When details are fully loaded, I press the join button and it seems like nothing is happening (the app is frozen press). Suddenly after another 5-10 sec it then enters into the mask where I can finally press "join now" and enter the meeting. In most cases there is no more delay while entering the meeting, but sometime it also takes another 5 sec.

This behaviour appeard round about 3-4 weeks ago. Before that time, everything worked fine.

Devices:

iPad, iPhone, virtual company client
The problem occures on my apple devices but not on my virtual machine.

What have I tested so far:

Teams reinstall

Device reset (factory), setup from scratch (both)

Using teams with and withouth company VPN, while being to Wifi or LTE

Using teams with and without headset (on both devices connected to Epos Adapt 600; former Sennheiser MB660)

Regardless my tests scenario it always behaved in the same way.

I know that many of you focus onto the lacking sound and video and could fix this by updating drivers, but does anybody face my problem too?

Thanks for help

Update: the issue came back after a few days. Please disregard the below. I won't delete the text to keep this as information for an approach that did not work.

I ran into this exact problem 2 days ago on a new Dell Precision with Win 11. I'm posting here to share what happened and how it was fixed for me.

After I had the machine for approximately 2 weeks, it started to take 30+ seconds to connect to a Teams meeting.

What I had done just before is uninstalled (in Device Manager) all drivers under the Intel Smart Sound Technology for MIPI device (this was recommended to me to fix distorted sound. After a reboot, the sound was better but Teams started to have the problem here. This clearly hints towards the sound drivers being part of the issue.

How it was fixed: I closed the lid during a Teams meeting today and the laptop went into standby. Upon opening the lid again, the meeting was ended, but the Windows Firewall requested some new permissions for Teams. I granted them and since then, the Teams session starts almost instantly again. I'll try to find out the exact firewall change but I didn't look earlier.

Update: these are the 2 messages in the Security Log around the time this happened. Both appeared multiple times within a 1 second timeframe:

A change was made to the Windows Firewall exception list. A rule was modified.

Profile Changed: (null)

Modified Rule:
Rule ID: TCP Query User{[A UUID]}C:\users\sample\appdata\local\microsoft\teams\current\teams.exe
Rule Name: teams.exe

A change was made to the Windows Firewall exception list. A rule was modified.

Profile Changed: (null)

Modified Rule:
Rule ID: UDP Query User{[Another UUID]}C:\users\sample\appdata\local\microsoft\teams\current\teams.exe
Rule Name: teams.exe

@MuqaddasB 

The solution that worked for me is as below

1. Close Teams and end task with "task manager"
  2. Delete Teams folder from C:\Users\<profilename>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\
  3. Restart or reinstall Teams, then it now works well

@akinadeyemo Thanks! that worked for me