Microsoft Teams wont detect built in web cam or USB web cam

Copper Contributor

I am a 2nd Line Tech support and I am seeing this issue happening a lot on my users machines.

all other applications that use the web cam can detect this but just not teams.

What I have done so far

1. uninstalled device in Device manager, restarted machine...no joy

2. I have updated driver in device manager still no joy

3. I have run HP Softpaq updates restarted machine and no joy

4. I have checked settings in teams, permissions and mic and camera are enable, I have disabled and re enabled...no joy

5. I have run windows update restarted machine....no joy

how do I fix this? is there a known fix for this or is Microsoft not aware of this problem?

3 Replies

@kelvinks 

We had this issue a month or so ago in our tenant, it seemed to affect those of us who are on the Insider Windows builds.  We have Surface Books, so MS hardware, OS and Software.  you would have thought that would be the safest option.

Anyway, about a month ago we started having Teams being unable to use the built in camera or any USB camera connected.  Every other app could use it fine, including Teams in the browser.  We tried everything to fix it without any success, and after another update it resolved itself.  The timing of your issue makes me wonder if there was a bug in the initial insider version that has just gone live for general release, and the fix that we received in a later insider build is still to be deployed?

Sorry I can't give you a better answer, but we wasted a lot of time on this and it might save you doing so

@AndyTuke
Thank you for your reply. I suspect the same is happening to us. was the update just a windows update or a system update?

@kelvinks for USB cam try to install the software and then try.