SOLVED

Microsoft Teams Remote control not working

Copper Contributor

Hello,  Just recently the remote control feature in teams is not working for us,  when I had the end user allow access everything seems ok my mouse never shows up on their screen,  I have tried from multiple PC's with the same results.  I have also updated my teams client and reinstalled but still no luck.  Any help?

25 Replies

@mkowal42910 

Same issue.  Only started happening as recently as this week.

@mkowal42910 

Same issue, the strange thing is that it does not happen to me with all users, but with most of them, I already tried reinstalling teams and nothing works.

I have a very similar issue, though when I try to remote control, I also lose the control bar at the bottom of the window, the other side needs to end the call, or I need to close teams.

@mkowal42910 

Same issue here with both my clients' machines, and our own. Remote control is initiated, on the host side is says that the client is in control, but the client cannot move the hosts' mouse or click on anything. On the client end, it appears though you are in control of the host as well. No error messages, and no issues actually viewing the desktop, just not able to control it. 

Have reinstalled Teams, disabled GPU hardware acceleration as per another article's suggestion. 

Same issue here. Seems to be random too. Tested with 2 users. I couldn’t control the first user but he could control mine. The second user couldn’t control mine but I could control hers. Doesn’t makes any sense.

The same issue started happening to a lot of my colleagues in the recent 5 or 6 days.

I Can give control to the other machine but no cursor is showing up and you can't really control anything(seems to be random too cause with some it works ok).

I hope it gets fixed soon.

Greetings @mkowal42910 

I created a case yesterday about the same issue and I will let you know about its resolution.

@johnpapoulias There is an advisory notice about this issue on the office 365 admin portal. looks like its going to be broken for a while...

@P15H3D 

Brill, cheers for this

Indeed!!!! @P15H3D 

Yesterday it wasn't there!

Users who are given control by a presenter during a Microsoft Teams meeting are unable to control the screen
TM221283, Microsoft Teams, Last updated: September 4, 2020 10:33 PM
Start time: September 1, 2020 10:01 PM
Status
Service degradation
User impact
Users who are given control by a presenter during a Microsoft Teams meeting are unable to control the screen.
Are you experiencing this issue?
Is this post helpful?

Latest message View history
Title: Users who are given control by a presenter during a Microsoft Teams meeting are unable to control the screen User Impact: Users who are given control by a presenter during a Microsoft Teams meeting are unable to control the screen. More info: Depending on how impact is presenting itself for your organization, there may are workarounds available. If no mouse or keyboard actions are working, users may click on one of the side rail items (such as Chat, Teams or Calendar) and then return to the meeting screen to mitigate impact. If a user has issues controlling the top of the screen, the sharer needs to move the shared app (such as a web browser or the Outlook client) down 40 pixels to mitigate the impact. Current status: We've determined that a recent service update is causing the problem. We're developing a fix, which is expected to take an extended period of time to complete as we need to make sure that it doesn’t negatively impact any additional aspects of the Microsoft Teams service. We're expecting for the validation of the fix to complete by Tuesday, September 15, 2020, at which time we're aiming to provide an ETA for the deployment of the fix and the remediation of impact. Scope of impact: This issue could impact any of your users that are given control during a meeting. Our telemetry suggests that approximately three percent of meetings may experience impact. Root cause: A recent service update is preventing users who are given control by a presenter during a Microsoft Teams meeting from controlling the screen. Next update by: Wednesday, September 16, 2020, 12:00 AM (9/15/2020, 9:00 PM UTC)

@johnpapoulias Hey guys! hope you're doing well!! any news about this?

thanks a lot!

Martin

@johnpapoulias  Thank you for sharing the details of the advisory because I cannot find it!

I just found it!

So I figured out a workaround that seems to get the mouse cursor working again,  once the end user shares the screen and they give you control click on chat on the left hand side of teams which should minimize the remote control window.  Than go back to the screen share via the connection box in the bottom right hand corner of the screen in teams, and Wa Laa your mouse cursor is now showing in the remote control and you can move around and clicking works.   @mkowal42910 

@mkowal42910 

As of 9/10/20 known issue. I got this from the Microsoft 365 Admin Center > Health > Service Health.

Users who are given control by a presenter during a Microsoft Teams meeting are unable to control the screen
TM221283, Microsoft Teams, Last updated: September 8, 2020 9:42 AM
Start time: September 1, 2020 2:01 PM
Status
Service degradation
User impact
Users who are given control by a presenter during a Microsoft Teams meeting are unable to control the screen.

Latest message

Title: Users who are given control by a presenter during a Microsoft Teams meeting are unable to control the screen

User Impact: Users who are given control by a presenter during a Microsoft Teams meeting are unable to control the screen.

More info: Depending on how impact is presenting itself for your organization, there are workarounds available. If no mouse or keyboard actions are working, users may click on one of the side rail items (such as Chat, Teams or Calendar) and then return to the meeting screen to mitigate impact. If a user has issues controlling the top of the screen, the sharer needs to move the shared app (such as a web browser or the Outlook client) down 40 pixels to mitigate the impact.

Current status: We've determined that a recent service update is causing the problem. We're developing a fix, which is expected to take an extended period of time to complete as we need to make sure that it doesn’t negatively impact any additional aspects of the Microsoft Teams service. We're expecting for the validation of the fix to complete by Tuesday, September 15, 2020, at which time we're aiming to provide an ETA for the deployment of the fix and the remediation of impact.

Scope of impact: This issue could impact any of your users that are given control during a meeting. Our telemetry suggests that approximately three percent of meetings may experience impact.

Root cause: A recent service update is preventing users who are given control by a presenter during a Microsoft Teams meeting from controlling the screen.

Next update by: Tuesday, September 15, 2020, 4:00 PM (9:00 PM UTC)

@mkowal42910 

I have the same problem here.. I do not know what to do.. 

It seems to be working now as of Monday.  But before that to get my pointer working again I would stat the remote control session with the user,  once they allowed connection I would click back on chat on the left hand side of teams,  than click on my Share screen button to return back to the screen share and the pointer was responding again. @danielemyrsenglish 

@mkowal42910 

I can control my students' computers but they can't control mine.. 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

Both the person sharing the screen and the person controlling the screen need to be in the new meeting experience and can only be done via the desk top app (not in Chrome).  I also haven't tried it with multiple people in the room so if it doesn't work, I would try just two people or have everyone in the new meeting experience.

I'm still experimenting on this to see if there's any way to do control via Teams on the Web, but haven't found a way yet.

• While in the desktop app, click on your initials on the top right
  • click on settings
  • under general, check "Turn on new meeting experience"

This has been the only way I've gotten it to work.

View solution in original post