SOLVED

Microphone problems in Teams app

Brass Contributor

Hi all,

When I use the Teams app, I have problems with my microphone when I wear my earphones. The other people in the conversations can't hear me. I tried it several times now. When I join the meeting in the web version of Microsoft Teams, my microphone works perfectly fine with my earphones. But I would like to join the meetings in the Teams app. What could be the problem?

I already tried several things. My microphone is not muted, I selected the right headphones in the settings in Teams. I also did a test call in the Microsoft Teams app. I cannot hear myself in this test. 

Thank you for your help.

56 Replies

@mortenhh 

That work-around did not work for me.

@Chris Miller, was it the virtual audio cable solution you tried?

Same issue here with laptops Dell Latitude 3410 (Realtek Audio with Intel Smart Sound) and microphone in Teams app.

The microphone works well in other applications and web browser, but in Teams desktop app the volume is too low.

Tried all the suggested options but nothing seems to work.

Anyone has new ideas? Thanks.

@DickGrady are you still affected by this low volume issue with Teams? We found one bug that caused this symptom. If you are in a call and also open up the Teams device settings UI to configure audio devices, there is a condition that causes the volume to be set to zero. We are working on a fix now. For this particular bug, if you had the right mic gain level set through Windows before the call, and do not bring up the Teams device settings UI, the mic gain level won't be set to zero. I hope this works for you as a short term workaround while we work on the fix.

Regards,

Mu

@kevenA This is literally all I needed to correct my audio issue with my ThinkPad/Headset/Teams! You saved me such a headache.  Thanks so much!

@jeaninek Same problem here. I connect with my jabra usb-c headset using the android app on my phone. Both camera and hearing works fine. Only microphone is not working while it is unmuted. Then I disconnect en rejoin the meeting and everything is working fine.

@mortenhh I was able to eventually get the Visual A-B cable work around to work.  I just needed to reboot after install and then set the levels correctly.

This is really an annoying bug and it's really shameful that Microsoft was not able to fix this in almost a year.

My USB microphone works great in any other software.

When I go into settings and do a test call, the USB microphone works great.

Only when I go into a meeting and click the device options, suddenly the volume jumps around like a squirrel on speed and nobody can understand me any more. The level persists (most often at zero) after the call.

I agree that this is annoying bug.  I've been able to avoid Microsoft Teams for most of this year by using Zoom.  However, yesterday I was forced back into a MS teams meeting.  I've tried every work around suggested in this discussion.  Yet, yesterday after reinstalling the MS teams app (which was recommended to access features being used in the meeting), the app assumed I had a microphone headset and turned the microphone input down accordingly.  The only way I could be heard was to have my mouth a 1/2 inch away from the internal microphone on my notebook.  Once I uninstalled the teams app and went back to using a browser the microphone worked normally.  This happens with Windows 10 on a Thinkpad T430.

It is quite annoying. Your scenario mirrors mine!
Thank you

Same problem here, tried many different things and didn't help.

This is quite an annoying issue, really strange that Microsoft didn't solve it yet.....

Hi please click this link and see the solution. Very easy to fix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W2faZw7Ymw&ab_channel=ThinkOutsideTheSlide.com

I have the same problem with microphone volume being annoyingly low for others listening me.

I use the Teams app

I do have a simple work around for this,

Keep the sound settings dialog / window open in the background, and the mic volume is perfect !!

@jeaninek 

Hello
Teams is the never ending story of problems.

Low microphone or no sound at all
Buttons on headset does not work but sometimes they do.
Randomly bad sound quality
Calls is dropped every 30 sec. Also random
As organisation you can have several different versions of Team installed, makes support an headless effort.
You can't hear the person that calls you(Teams for telephony)
User sounds like he or she is sitting in a big bathroom, echo echo echo....

Some these problems can be solved by installing the audio and usb drivers again by first complely remove them from system.

Sometimes you need to logoff Teams completely and shut the task down and clear cache.

Sometimes you need to uninstall it and clear everything.

And the excuse from MS it is the headset, which makes no sense, 200+ headsets and for the most times they work🤷 a Teams certified headset that works 1000% on Skype for business, Zoom, Google and so on, but on Teams, well like playing the Lottery :expressionless_face::thumbs_down:

I am so tired.

Windows 10 ent. Newest version, everything is updated.

This post will probably be removed, so be it.

@Carsten71For the low mic volume problem that my listeners experience, (when I am doing the talking),

I simply right click on the volume icon in the task bar, and click on "Open Sound Settings", and leave those setting open in the background... mic works like a champ .... close the dialog and back to low mic.

Don't have the time and energy to do any re-installs or troubleshooting.

It is so hard to believe that this thread started over two years ago and there is still not a definite answer. This just happened to mine that has been working since we started using Teams years back. I have a high-end wired mic connected to the internal sound card on a desktop that works perfect in all others apps and was working fine in Teams until a couple of weeks back. Removing the Audio Driver and updating changed nothing with the audio in Teams, changing the Commications settings to Do Nothing (lowering levels) did not help, even installed the Virtual Cable (although have not rebooted since trying that today) and it does not change. It for sure is something in the drivers that the Teams app does not like.

The only current fix is to not use the Teams app, just using Teams in the Browser where it works fine.