SOLVED

Live captions not working in Teams (Potentially widespread issue?)

Brass Contributor

Hi all, hope you can help.

I work for a local council in the UK's IT department and we were looking into why a particular user couldn't get live captions to work in Teams meetings/calls. 

All of the options are enabled to get them to work, but in teams calls, it just shows the area at the bottom of the call window where the captions should appear, but no words come up.

We updated the user's computer, and reinstalled the Teams app. We have tested this on the Teams app, as well as the browser version of Teams, on multiple computers, with different people, to the same result. The live captions simply aren't working.

The user also mentioned their sister who works for another council is also having the same issue.

Could this issue with live captions not working be widespread?

45 Replies

@LewisJFC 

Is everybody back up and running now as Captions still don't work for me at all (in UK)?

Do we have confirmation from Microsoft when they will fix this issue?

I just did a 'test' meeting and the captions are working here (Scotland, UK)
Check your settings because Captioning might have been moved. I found captioning buried under Language and Speech. I also joined my test meeting from my Android and found the captioning option available there.
What has just happened? Did you remove the option to translate from Microsoft Teams altogether?! We really need this option back - to be able to speak in one language, but for the receiving end to read the text in another language. Like from Japanese to English and English to Japanese. This is no longer supported. Could you please bring this feature back, and ideally, make it so that it works with individual settings, i.e. all text is translated to English for me, whilst all text is translated to Japanese for my counterpart.

@Adam_Piaskowski It's my understanding that now that the preview period has ended, the Live Translation feature has moved to Teams Premium, which requires an additional license.

@bigbee 

That is what we're trying to figure out, thank you @bigbee. What about part two, that we constantly need to change the language settings when switching the speaker? Couldn't it automatically recognise speech language and keep the translation language specific to the receiving person?