Headsets plays dial tone sound

Bronze Contributor

Hi

Has others notified that when you are having Skype for Business and Microsoft Teams on the same workstation, in some scenarios the headset start playing the dial tone. Microsoft have the following page to describing the issue: Skype for Business plays a dial tone during a Teams call, but at least on our end this issue has been away quite many months, or years even. But suddenly this issue is here again and wondering why..?

Also it looks that those solutions seems to be not help.

27 Replies
I stopped getting complaints about this since we pushed for updating.

The models we use have built-in hardware visual and sound indicators to indicate when people are talking while muted and that seems to still be working, so we didn't get affected by any possible drawback that this version may have.

I'd say that even with the possible drawbacks, it's well worth updating as the drawbacks would be much less annoying than having Skype for Business beeping and popping up on it's own.

@Petri X 

ugh... i received You have Microsoft Teams Version 1.6.00.1381 (64-bit). It was last updated on 2/8/2023. but issue remains. Rebooted as well but issue remains. 

Teams mtg end + Skype phone call end = dialtone/howler/skype pop up
we have a case with MS

@Jsink1840 

We have identified, the error is reproducible when making and then ending a Skype call after attending a scheduled Teams meeting. Then the dial tone sounds. It does not occur after a direct Teams call and subsequent Skype call.
So, something is handled in a different way, when attending a scheduled Teams meeting. Maybe this helps fishing for an root cause...

We have also a case open with Microsoft now, regarding the exact same behaviour. I have sent Teams debug and media logs for investigation. Hopefully. we all will have a solution soon.
@Petri X and @Jsink1840, as you didn't post any update, I wonder if the issue is solved for you after recent updates. Also want to know if you are using HP hardware or if it happens with PCs from other manufacturers as well?
Since we had a case opened with Microsoft, they applied a patch to Teams in our O365 tenant for the fix. We use Dell hw. MS is to release fix publicly by end of month.
Just did another test again. It seems working now, since Microsoft started deploying an updated fix. I can see, after ending a scheduled Teams meeting, the HID hook gets released now and so, a following skype call was without any dial- or beep tone. Fingers crossed, this is a long term fix.
Info: I clicked "check for updates", and even that the version is still on 1.6.00.1381 it seems changes happend in the background, because this fixed the issue on one of my test PCs.
Perhaps Microsoft has recycled the code, as this dial tone issue seems to be back again.