Formatting Changes after Uploading a Word Document with Images

Copper Contributor

I have been using Teams to hold virtual office hours with my students in my Business and in my Technical Writing Class. This has been working when the documents are simple and straight text. However, my student uploaded a document with images, and when I opened this in teams and then in Word Online, I could tell that the formatting is askew: the Pictures are out of place. Then I opened the document in Word and the formatting is correct. I've had this problem before with the Online MS apps. Why can't Teams and Word OnLine maintain the formatting of such documents?

23 Replies

@MKBascom  I can't believe after all of this time, these problems still exist. I think it has to do with the fact that a Word document created on the installed version is somehow not the same as the browser version--the coding or how the documents operate--I don't have the expertise in this.  I wonder if to avoid these formatting changes, you must create the document from within Teams. But I personally don't like to use the browser version of Word. It's not as robust, even though it has improved over the years. 

So, blaming the person with the problem caused by MS?

Have you tried to switch off automatic saving of the document in Word? We have experienced some of the same problems with unwanted chances in tables.

However, we have a large Sharepoint document library with thousands of Word documents which we convert to html to be shown in a browser. These Word documents never change formatting although some of them are heavily loaded with tables. The difference is that we do not use automatic saving - this could perhaps be a reason for not seeing the issue here? Also, they cannot be edited by more than one editor at a time.

Kind Regards 

Niels

@NielsMadsenAlbank  thank you for the suggestion -I’ll try it.