Error - To update this folder, go to the channel in Microsoft Teams

Copper Contributor

I have a MS Team where I manage (1) Permissions and (2) the primary Folder structure of my SharePoint site.

Example MS Team Channels:

• Labor
  • Billing
  • Commercial
  • Customer Service
  • Etc.

These Channels obviously create the root Folders in the main Document Library on the SharePoint site.

Within the SharePoint Document Library, I had added a new Folder and File "attribute" which I include in the Default View for users when viewing this Document Library... The custom "attribute" is "Title". I did this because often times a file's name may be long and not fully reflective of content, and by customizing my "Title", I can make it more clear to the users.

This "Title" attribute also applies to Folders. And to cleanly navigate the Document Library, I also need to edit the "Title" for my Folders.

Something has recently changed, and when I try to edit the "Title" attribute of a main Folder (one created by adding a Channel to the Team) I get an error - "To update this folder, go to the channel in Microsoft Teams". (see screenshot below)

2023-03-31_09-31-43.png

The problem is that I am not able to edit the "Title" attribute anywhere in Teams either.

Any clue how to get around this new limitation? In the screenshot above, I am not trying to change the "Name" field at all, only the "Title" field, so I really believe this error is a bug at the end of the day.

Truly appreciate any help and guidance!

Brian

5 Replies
I'm getting the same issue, any advice would be welcome?
I get the same issue with the parent folder in both Sharepoint and Teams.
For Subfolders they can be updated in the Teams app (work and school) through the Files tab on the channel, then '...' -> 'Rename'.

In the Teams (Work Preview) app there is an option to rename the root folder however when doing so in the app the error "Error: To update this folder, go to the channel in Microsoft Teams" appears just as it does in Sharepoint.
I hope the rename in Team->Channel->Files->'...' is the solution that works for you.
Same deal. I created a column called Point of Contact. I wanted to have each folder have a point of contact. I get that error.
In Teams, I can add a point of contact to each item in the folder, but not the folder itself. This issue is kind of weird. Why let me edit and add everything... then give the error when trying to save. Just let us know we can't edit there before we go through the trouble.
This didn't work in my case.