Double joins - stop it

Brass Contributor

This question was asked in another context, when Teams apps keeps launching whilst the user intends to join the web-ui, however this case is different.

The case is that when the user joined teams via web-ui, then there is a separate pop-up that is asking the user to join. This pop-up/notification will launch the app and move the user away from web-ui for whatever reasons. There are multiple issues with this behavior and configuration, how Teams works.

1. The user intended the join web-ui Teams, not use the app
  2. The pop-up always appears
  3. The double join leaves the user completely puzzling what is going on and is flooding the screen with teams windows
  4. This might impact audio/video lines etc.
  5. This will eat cpu, when the app is launching

Firstly, and contratry to many believes, the user is not stupid. The user intended to join web-ui Teams session. The suggested join by app could at least ASK if the user wants to rather use the app. However, all this is really a technical mess, because the web-ui login will stay alive and in background. Both the browser tab (web-ui) and app eat machines resources for no good reasons. The user is forced to check everything, to move windows around, to possible close the web-ui, etc. This is all work on the user side: confusing, irritating, and not helpful.

Maybe the "..." settings is there to undo this "mode" (pop-up) (--not tested), but from knowing since the very beginning, I do not see that this would remove the fact that any user (millions in this world) get this pop-up, which I consider a duplication of an already existing web-ui join.

Even if there is one good rational behind this, to me, after 30+ years IT, it is a very unruly behavior of a software. 

Sincerely

1 Reply
Problem persists. Still keeps launching Teams app besides the user does not want to use it.