"New" Teams meet now defaults to audio call not video call

Iron Contributor

Hello all,

Just been updated to Teams version 23285.3607.2525.937 and in this version, calling other users behaviour in the UI has been changed to instead of having two distinct buttons for either an Audio or Video call, there is now a "Meet Now" button with a drop down where the main click option defaults to an audio call.

This is a poor change to the UI design and I also cannot see an option to set video calls to be the default meet now option, is there an option to change the default behaviour and where is it?

20 Replies
Agreed. Poor UI Design for a feature frequently accessed. - this is generating many end user tickets thinking something is broken or complaining. I'm checking with our orgs Teams admin to see if there are any settings that can be changed there but I doubt it if there's nothing on client side. Hopefully we see a rollback on this one or a way to pin it.

@Emile_Belcourt - Seeing the same issue starting today (in new Teams), most of our users are still running Teams classic (for now). Teams classic still has both the audio and video buttons visible, which is much better in my opinion.

I would suggest posting the feedback here, so MS hopefully see's it and people can vote to have this behavior changed: https://feedbackportal.microsoft.com/feedback/forum/ad198462-1c1c-ec11-b6e7-0022481f8472 

@lmoore101 Looks like someone has raised this already: https://feedbackportal.microsoft.com/feedback/idea/ad333a0f-d08f-ee11-a81c-000d3a02ba69

I have added a vote to it, whoever implemented this change from the MS UI team has made a conscientious choice to impair UX. What it is also a frustration is the drop out has video call first where you're expecting audio to be first because that's how flyouts are normally with the default option the primary which people have said they always accidentally click the audio one instead.

Thanks, I voted and commented also.

@Emile_Belcourt Most probably no update yet, but hereby also my complaint about this annoying change

Version 23306.3314.2555.9628 running here.

Agreed. This is the 100 the DUMBEST thing I've seen in a while. Microsoft FORCES more unnecessary clicking by hiding the video chat in a drop down under the voice call. EVERY employee in our company hates this. When 90% of all your calls are video chats and now some idiot made a decision to hide it and require MORE clicking to get to a button that has PLENTY of space in the area and 100% NO REASON to hide. DUMB DUMB DUMB.

It's like they have a team that sits around and asks the question, "How can we annoy people by making them click around more with zero benefit".

ping, any updates M$ ?

If they could allow our organization to set "video" as the default this would make us favour teams even more from a culture/habits standpoint. As it is, this change is simply an impairment of workflows.

@Emile_Belcourt  Glad I'm not the only one that sees this as a downgrade. I appreciate the need to have a choice of default, since some people might prefer voice to video or vice versa. An extra click for my most frequently used button is annoying. 

I reverted to the old teams when I found this, then got forced back to the new one. :( 

Agreed. There always some administrator somewhere that thinks they know better than the people doing the work. Change for the sake of change is the mantra in this country.
Hello Microsoft, are there any updates on this? Given how seamlessly this downgrade was deployed, surely the fix can be deployed as quickly and subtlety too.
Seems we're stuck with the unergonomic alt-shift-v till they work out that there actually is enough real estate up there for a separate button, like we had before...
I'm always surprised how such changes manage to get approved. This is really annoying and unnecessary. It's not like there is not enough space for the two small buttons like before.

@patrickgarcia 

Tterrible choice by Microsoft. I also still often mis-click, setting up a phonecall first.

I hope they change this asap.

Making Video-call the first standard option is also no option. It should be an 'either/or' more clearly. It is confusing for users this way.

@B_Versteegen It should just go back to the two distinct buttons for Audio Call/Video Call, there is more than enough real estate here to have two 100px wide buttons:

Emile_Belcourt_0-1707132252190.png

I hate this change like everyone else, but it makes sense if they are trying cut down on the video calls that are clogging up their servers and causing bad video quality.... otherwise, it's a horrible move by Microsoft... 

@RC_MS660 its not I'm doing less video calls becasue of that. I'm just getting annoyed before one every time I'm doing a call. I dont thin that works out.