SOLVED

Trim feature removed in new Stream?

Iron Contributor

Has the trim feature been removed in both the new (SharePoint) Stream and tradtional Stream interface? 

I discovered this today when attempting to trim a video recorded from a Teams meeting.  The trim feature was available recently when video recordings of Teams meetings were accessed in OneDrive.  

118 Replies

@Marc MrozThis is a great solution. I believe Webex does a similar method of trim via meta data with their web player. This will save a tremendous amount of time for us. 

Thank you for the update.
Marc,

This is a key function to use Stream as the video management tool for a company. I am trying to cut out content from the end of a video that can't be there and now I have to find another tool to do this in.
@PaulScheiman you can now use Clipchamp to trim videos. It is already included in your Enterprise subscription if you have a Targeted Release tenant and it is available in the Windows app store for your laptop. This is what we use for right now. Some extra steps, but the price is right and it's pretty easy to use.

@karen_dredske Yes, there are many third party apps available too, but that is not at all helpful: Microsoft have foolishly decided to take away this feature from Stream and WE are suffering as a result; Videos that have been recorded e.g. in Teams are already uploaded and present online. All people like me want to do is be able to trim out, for example the time it takes the presenter to get ready at the start of a recording. Your suggestion means downloading the video, editing it in e.g. Chimpface, re-saving it, re-uploading and then having to tell those present where the new recording is !! Do you not see how illogical all that is ? All we want is the trim feature added back to Stream (as well as the other features that used to be there).

@Tim_J_E I feel your pain. I'm wondering if the metrics are just wrong that were collected by the Stream team related to video trimming. They are working on it now and I am hoping the inconvenience for all of us passes quickly. It was also the most common feature that I used in the past also.

However. . . what I will say is that you should not have to tell anyone where the new recording is because if you save the updated video file with the exact same name, upload it to the exact same location in OneDrive or SharePoint you will be prompted to tell whether you want to replace the current file or not. If you replace the file, then it should be found in the same location. You will have to re-run a transcript on it though as the file owner if your organization uses the transcript feature.

Hi Karen - Thanks for your reply. We're focused on the Trimming aspect here, but I could write a book on how much Microsoft have dropped the ball around the video recording. For example, I sense that instead of Teams videos being stored on the organisational Sharepoint as it was, it now seems to have been pointed to my own My.sharepoint etc... I can only assume that is to try to manage GBs stored back to personal allowances ? Many other dimensions of the new Sharepoint have wrecked (I do NOT use that word lightly) my ability to manage the various videos I created and shared i.e. to ditch the great control e.g. for access and viewing with the old Channels and Groups.... we now have ? A damned mess.... without most of the controls to organise access and sharing of contents in an around differing groups with ease. I used to love dipping my toe into the Stream facilitites. I now dread it as it sucks my time and frustrates the hell out of me. And "no" it is not my lack of knowledge or effort.. I have given the new ecosystem a chance. But it is lightweight and lacking most of the professional functionality I used to use daily. Microsoft have not only 'scored an own goal' here, they have dug up the grass and torched the stadium.... We now have no idea what game we can play....!!. To the extent I think I'll just stay home.... as I think they don't want anyone on the pitch !! Such a bizarre mentality at Microsoft these days.... I think, as we say in the UK, they have 'lost the plot'....

@Marc Mroz 

First time I have to trim a recording because I forgot to stop it at the right time. Clipchamp is easy to use but the results are very poor. An original recording that is 127MB, became a 500+MB recording after trimming.

Clipchamp should have an option to keep original recording quality. It is extremely frustrating to see the size multiply by 3-4x.

The metadata shortcut seems ideal as long as the recording can be downloaded with the new size.

In the meantime, I have found an open-source app that can trim a video keeping the original encoding and quality and reducing its size according to the length after trim. It is called Avidemux.

Update, for the first time today, I saw "Edit in Clipchamp" as an option in SharePoint/Stream files. It opened the video in a new browser and immediately began uploading the video. I quit the window as it was not my intention to start testing yet. But I did see a folder get auto created in the Teams File library where the original file was saved. In fact it is named "Video Project" Inside it are other folders and the .clipchamp file. 

So more files to eat up space for sure. Uploading/Downloading clearly not efficient but lets see if it solves the problem of dead space in Teams meeting recordings... 

@JaebiAAMC  Where did you see that? I'm looking at our Stream and I'm not seeing it yet. 
What does everyone else do? We have a number of recordings we need to process of webinars and I'm wondering what the fastest workflow is.

Unless you are an Educational or GCC tenant, you should see Clipchamp in the app launcher or from the "+New" menu in OneDrive.

Regardless, you can go to the Microsoft Store and download Clipchamp or download it from https://clipchamp.com for free and use it to trim videos and then upload them into SharePoint/OneDrive/Teams. However, you'll want to use the Export function to make them a .mp4 format and to minimize the size as much as you can.

One downfall of Clipchamp right now is that it doesn't compress the video file size as much as Teams does.
With the greatest respect to those that are contributing, which is always appreciated, recommending anything like Chimpclip or whatever it is is completely irrelevant to this thread: The question as asked (as far as I understand) all stems from Microsoft, for some bizarre reason, removing the trim feature from videos already uploaded WITHIN SHAREPOINT. Same link. Same location. That means trimming a video where it is (or was) already stored. Any use of an external video editing app or software is not helpful as it involves downloading, storing it somewhere else, perhaps re-uploading. NONE of these steps are wanted. There are hundreds, perhaps, of editing apps out there that are irrelevant, even if they are available from within 365 or whatever. We just want this essential trim feature back. Microsoft, please listen and act on the wishes of your users. And 'this decade' would be nice.... :(

@Tim_J_E Microsoft owns Clipchamp and it is being integrated into all tenants (except GCC and Education at this time) as part of your license. This is their recommendation. You can open Clipchamp from the applauncher and open your file from SharePoint to edit.

karen_dredske_0-1700246954337.png

From there select My Content.

karen_dredske_1-1700247012880.png

It will open up a view similar to OneDrive and you can select Cloud Files and your SharePoint site and the file from there to trim it.

Microsoft is in the middle of giving us more than just trimming off the beginning or the end of a video. They are going to give you the ability to "hide" any part of the video from viewers that you want to. That is in development, was shown at Ignite on Wednesday, and is captured in line 23 of this spreadsheet that tracks Stream features - https://aka.ms/StreamClassicToSPFeatureList. They just don't have a delivery date for it yet.

Here is the video of the new features that are coming. Check the lower left corner of the video for an estimated timeline for each feature they go through. 

Microsoft Stream: The Future of Video in Microsoft 365 (youtube.com)

Microsoft Verified Best Answer

Thanks everyone for your feedback and suggestions. We hear you, on a simple trim within Stream without having to make a whole new video. We are working on it as fast as we can.

See this part of our “what’s new” video at 3:59 for a demo of the coming trim ability:

I can't believe they removed this - given MS's interest in user personas and stories, I really really wish they used this method when considering functionality of their software *smh*
"We are thinking of doing a default start and end time for the video. The video would start at that point and pause at end point but users could see and jump to parts outside these points."
Yes, this would work for my needs. All I ever needed to do was shorten the intro time and trim the end time.

I think that simply having a default start and end time is about the most monumentally poor and lazy way out of a problem that did not need to happen.

Sure, there may be a few cases where having the video available with the "tails" still there might be OK, but in most cases, it gets trimmed for a reason, and not only because of it being irrelevant.

It has to be actually gone...

This page does not work for me (12/14/2023)
I really appreciate your response, but not being able to easily trim a teams recording is pretty much a deal breaker. I tried ClipChamp, and this was my experience: 4hr Teams meeting (forgot to stop the recording apparently), original mp4 file from teams was 450MB. Used ClipChamp to trim it to 44 minutes, and exported the file (in the same resolution as the original; there aren't any more options for frame rate or compression in ClipChamp) and I got a 2.2GB mp4 file. Bonkers.