Videos in Stream Classic Channels not showing up in Migration tool

Brass Contributor

I put in a ticket too but thought I'd see if anyone has seen this.

I go into Stream Classic and see SOC 401, then I go to the Migration and the Scan tab and search SOC 401, nothing comes up. I have 2 channels like that I need to migrate for an instructor.

Any ideas on why?

10 Replies
Have you run a content inventory report? If so, how many videos do you have in your Stream Classic portal? That is one reason that they may not appear. When you say they are a channel, are they a Companywide Channel? Or are they a channel inside of a Group? Channels inside of a Group are not a container and will not show up in the migration tool on default.

I could ask more questions, but let's start there.
All but 2 channels from this faculty member appear, they are not in groups, I can find them in the Stream Classic admin and see the channel and all of them.
You are going to have to check the permissions on the files and see who the owner is. The migration tool migrates by container. Channels are not containers in the tool. Channels are not owners of any video either. I think you will find it beneficial to review this page of documentation that gives you a visual of the containers and how they migrate files.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/stream/streamnew/understand-the-tool
You may also find the video overview that was recently posted helpful in understanding the process also. That will probably give you the answer to you question.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/stream/streamnew/stream-classic-to-new-migration-overview
Might worth doing the "add containers" step to "look for new containers in Stream" if you haven't done that in a while.

Also make sure you're launching the migration tool from the Admin Center (not from the Stream Classic Admin pages). Steps from Admin center: Setup > Migration > Microsoft Stream.

They are company permission channels, there are no groups or other restrictions, they are new from about a month or so ago, is there something we need to do to pull them over then?

Companywide-wide channel None (Admins can choose an existing SharePoint site or create a new one)

Same as Microsoft 365 group. Each companywide channel appears as a folder inside ‘Stream migrated videos’ folder.

This just didn't have to be so hard :(
Thanks Anne Yes I am launching from Admin panel, when you say add containers step, where is that? In the Migration tool? The BI script didn't help me with anything so I stopped using it.

@Jennifer Loudiana 

Yes, in the Migration Tool. There should be a link for "add containers" above the summary line, which pops a window where you can tell it to look for new containers.

addcontainers.png

OMG Anne Thank you so much! I saw that but didn't know what it did. ON IT right now!
I appreciate your help MS support has no idea he told me to change owners and I thought why I just migrated her other content.. this makes more sense.

@Jennifer Loudiana 

Did that end up working for you? I'm taking a fresh look at documentation today and forgot all about the "49.9K containers" problem. We are nowhere near that size, so it's not an issue for me. 

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/stream/streamnew/migration-process

Nuances for large customers: If your Stream (Classic) has more than 49.9-K containers, you would need to, either manually add containers or delete migrated containers and then you'll be able to discover more. UI has a limit of 49.5-K containers, with a 0.5-K buffer to add containers manually. 

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/stream/streamnew/step-by-step-guide#migrating-nuance-for-large-cus...

@Jennifer Loudiana 

If you're encountering the issue where videos in Stream Classic Channels are not appearing in the Migration tool, here are some steps to address this problem:

1. Check Permissions: Ensure that you have the necessary permissions to access and migrate content from Stream Classic. You might need admin or specific permissions to view and migrate videos.

2. Migration Settings: Review the settings in the Migration tool. Ensure that you've selected the correct Stream Classic Channels for migration. Double-check that you haven't accidentally excluded the channels containing the videos you want to migrate.

3. Content Status: Verify that the videos you're trying to migrate are in an accessible and viewable state within Stream Classic. If they are restricted, private, or have other access restrictions, the Migration tool may not be able to access them.

4. Migrate Individually: If specific videos are not appearing in the Migration tool, try migrating them individually rather than through the channel. This can sometimes help bypass issues related to channel-level migration.

5. Check for Errors: Look for any error messages or notifications in the Migration tool. It may provide clues as to why certain videos are not appearing or migrating.

6. File Types: Ensure that the videos you're trying to migrate are in compatible formats that are supported by the Migration tool.

7. Support and Documentation: Refer to Microsoft's official documentation or seek support from their help resources. They might have specific troubleshooting steps for this issue.

8. Updates: Ensure that both Stream Classic and the Migration tool are up to date. Sometimes, software updates can resolve compatibility issues.

By following these steps and thoroughly investigating the issue, you should be able to identify and address why certain videos from Stream Classic Channels are not showing up in the Migration tool.