Can I get Stream videos returned in my SharePoint search?

Brass Contributor

Sorry if this has been covered already, but I couldn't find any recent updates.

We're only just starting to test Stream.

I'm looking for how we the videos are surfaced in our enterprise search on Sharepoint. That's where people access everything else on O365 (People, Documents, Pages etc.) as well as our current videos which are in a standard Sharepoint library.

You'd think this would be a basic requirement, but from doing some reading around, it looks like it may not possible...?!

Not good news for our search users if that's the case... Any thoughts appreciated... thanks.

24 Replies

It seems that Microsoft is really pushing customers to start keeping videos right in SharePoint.  Previously videos in a document library didn't stream so you had to put them into Microsoft Video and later Stream.  This created search and navigation confusion for our end users.  Now that SharePoint and OneDrive support video streaming, the easiest thing to do may be to just add them to a SharePoint document library.  The benefit to the users is that now you can have all your content (i.e., documents, pdfs, videos) all in one place with shared property tags.

Originally, that was the goal for SharePoint I thought. Have everything within the SharePoint site. But later, they decided to pull all that out of SharePoint itself and allow applications to specialize leaving SharePoint for bridging all the applications together and improving SharePoint's overall performance.

If they have changed their mind, and want to once again start having SharePoint be the main repository for videos, so be it... but now, I will be wanting the same functionality that only Stream provides within videos hosted in a SharePoint site:
- automatically creating transcripts that are searchable
- WebPart to display all videos with the same category
- converting the videos into multiple formats for optimal video streaming across any device.

Personally, I hope they choose to keep Stream as the primary video solution, just allow the content to be searchable within SharePoint. That seems a lot easier than adding all the video streaming functionality back into SharePoint.

@Tom Chippendale @Jace Copier has there been an update on this? I was looking to integrate Stream with Sharepoint search but was unable to

@Naithikbidari, I have put my initiatives on hold, but it looks like Stream is now being considered Stream (Classic) and the new version is known as Stream (built on SharePoint).  Looks like they are incorporating Stream directly within SharePoint sites now.  You can find more details here:

The new version of Microsoft Stream - Microsoft Stream | Microsoft Docs

It sounds like any video stored in SharePoint, OneDrive, and Yammer will be considered Stream Videos moving forward.  This approach should allow the videos to appear in search by default; however, it also appears to not have all the same functionality the Steam (Classic) has currently.  

The following features are offered in Stream (Classic), but are not currently available in Stream (on SharePoint):

• View and edit transcripts next to the video player
  • Manually upload a caption or subtitle file to an existing video
  • Ability to change playback speed (0.5x - 2x) for non-meeting recordings
  • Button to get an embed code
  • Embed code that can negotiate user sign in if they aren't already logged in to Microsoft 365
  • A video player page with description, comments, transcripts, Forms, and so on
  • Adding Microsoft Forms to a video for quizzes and surveys
  • A dedicated Stream mobile application
  • Liking a video
  • Commenting on video player directly
  • Watchlist
  • Screen recording
  • Trimming the beginning and end of a video
  • Channels - This concept doesn't carry forward into Stream (on SharePoint) but you can get a similar effect by...

Sounds pretty bare bones to me right now.  I sure hope they incorporate a lot of the missing features soon.  

Folks on here are correct. We are rebuilding stream on top of SharePoint. So if you want m365 search for videos just upload them to a normal document library. Transcripts for videos In SharePoint is on the roadmap with a date of April I believe. When that is released you can even search in m365 bases on the transcript text.