Problems with Microsoft and SharePoint Online Search

Iron Contributor

I'm struggling to solve a couple of problems I have with Microsoft Search (and SharePoint Search) on my tenant.

Search usage information

1. I am not seeing any data in the Search and intelligence admin 'Insights' screen except for Impression distribution by result type. 
  2. The SharePoint Usage Reports (e.g. Top queries by month) are only showing an average of about 60 queries per month, most with 'query text' that includes the URL of the site collection where I gather the search has been started but not including the actual term the end user entered. We are quite a large organisation so I find it hard to believe only 60 or so searches are being performed.

I am wondering if there are any settings that are only accessible to Global admin (I'm only SharePoint and Search Admin) that may be preventing the search usage reporting from working correctly?   I have searched extensively through Microsoft Docs but can't find anything to indicate this is the case.

Bookmarks/Promoted results

I have set up Bookmarks with Microsoft Search and Promoted results in SharePoint Query rules.  However guest users on my tenant are not seeing these.  Laura Kokkarinen wrote an article several years ago suggesting that guests not being able to see search results were due to them not having permissions in the search centre.  I have checked this on my tenant but our guests do have the appropriate permissions.

I'm at my wits end with these two issues.  I thought I'd check with the community to see if others have the same problems and/or have found solutions prior to raising a formal issue.

Update 04/21/2021 - I got impatient and logged a ticket with Microsoft Support about the Search & Intelligence 'Insights' data.  The answer I received was:

• Right now, Office.com  and SPHome canvases are the only locations where these queries will be counted.
  • The feature is just rolling out so it may take time to accrue historical data

For various reasons we have not yet implemented SPHome on our tenant, so that's the explanation for one part of the issues I'm having.  If anyone else has any experience with the other problems I've outlined in this post I would be grateful for your advice.

0 Replies