Home site search not working as expected

Brass Contributor

Hi there

We have implemented the new Home site feature in our SharePoint environment but the search function is not performing as expected.  My understanding was that the search bar at the top on the home page would allow search in the entire organization similar to what happens on the SharePoint start page or the M365 page.  However, my bar is still only searching SharePoint sites.  I would not care normally but we have spent many hours building up our bookmarks and acronyms in the Search center and these do not surface when the search is only in SharePoint.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how we can get the Home site to search using the search center information?

1 Reply

@Mel_C13 something strange is going on today! As you can see from the attached screenshot, the Home Site can definitely return bookmarks. However, it didn't the first time but worked fine after a refresh. It may be worth checking the Search scope on that site with PowerShell - you can get it with PnP PowerShell using this command Get-PnPSearchSettings (PnP.Powershell) | Microsoft Docs or set the values if they are not correct with Set-PnPSearchSettings (PnP.Powershell) | Microsoft Docs.

If that PowerShell makes no sense, check out the PnPPowerShell intro page at PnP PowerShell | PnP PowerShell. Hope that helps