SOLVED

Win32 app install not showing up in Start Menu/Apps List

Copper Contributor

We have a Win32 app that we're deploying as an Available app through Company Portal. The files for the app show up in C:\Program Files (x86) in the app's folder on the endpoint; however, the app doesn't appear in the Start Menu or Programs and Features/Apps. Intune reports this app as "installed," but it's truly not. I haven't seen another app behave like this so far. Installing the program manually, outside of Intune, the app icon shows up in the Start Menu and it's recognized as an installed program in Programs and Features/Apps. How do we get this to be recognized as an installed app on the computer/Start Menu icon?

9 Replies
It depends on how you install it. Do you install it for all users? Do you install it with System or User installation behavior? If the detection is a file detection in c:\program files (x86)\. Then the software is installed for Intune.
Assignment is to a user group of particular users who need the software, so it shows up in their Company Portal. Install is intended for all users (not intentionally limiting it/doing anything that should restrict it). This uses the System installation behavior. Yes, detection is a file in C:\Program Files (x86)\... Is there a way to keep this install going to finish those last 2 steps (appearing in the Start Menu and Programs and Features/Apps)?
I was referring to the installation behavior :smiling_face_with_smiling_eyes:you can install software for this user only, or for all users. Usually it's a silent install parameter. You could also script the shortcut creation or do a copy of the link to the All Users Start Menu.

What do you install and how does your install command look like? MSI or Win32 app?
That could be a possibility - creating a shortcut to the All Users Start Menu.
I'm installing something called "ATC CyberCabinet." It's a Win32 app.
The install command I'm using is: setup.exe /quiet
If you don't have any other documentation with parameters enabling shortcut creation for everyone, I suggest saving the correct shortcut in the folder in which you create the Win32 package. Also, save an install.cmd there with the following contents:

copy "ATC CyberCabinet.lnk" "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs"
setup.exe /quiet

Unless I'm missing something, these are the parameters available to me:
-? or -h or -help : Show this dialog.
-url or -componentsurl : Show the stored url and componentsurl for this setup.
-url=<location> : Sets the url source to the specified location.
-componentsurl=<location> : Sets the componentsurl to the specified location.
-homesite=<true or false> : When set to true, downloads the components from their vendors' web site, overriding the componentsurl.
All remaining command line arguments will be passed to the application install.
This setup.exe then seems to call CyberCabinetInstaller.msi to complete the installation.
Are there possibly any parameter flags there I could set for the Start Menu, since they're passed through to the application install (I presume the MSI file)?
best response confirmed by wreinke (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Does using the MSI for installation change anything? (Add a new application to Intune and use the Line-Of-Business app. For that, select CyberCabinetInstaller.msi. )
It looks like that one installs the application, it appears in Programs and Features/Apps, and has a Start Menu icon. Interesting thing to note - it installs as "User" context whereas the Win32 installed in "System" context. I couldn't change either.
I'm now wondering if the function of the setup.exe is simply to call the MSI installer (since we're not passing parameters to it)?
Installing the MSI as a LOB app may be our way to do this. Thanks.

@wreinke That might be the case if everything is working and the setup doesn't add something that the MSI doesn't... Then this is a better/more straightforward solution :) 

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue.
This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item.

If one of the posts was helpful in other ways, please consider giving it a Like.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by wreinke (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Does using the MSI for installation change anything? (Add a new application to Intune and use the Line-Of-Business app. For that, select CyberCabinetInstaller.msi. )

View solution in original post