License delegation to Role Based groups

Brass Contributor

Hello good people!
I have recently encountered an issue with delegating licenses to role based groups.
It has worked for the duration of whole 2022. I have used this feature to cover my PIM/PAG groups with the correct licensing.
Today when i was going to create these groups in a new tenant (which i do every month) i was unable to. Something must have changed recently and i can not find any information on it.
Usually i had the "licensing" blade enabled under the group (i still do for regular groups). So instead i went into the specific licens in Azure AD and chosed "group assigned", there i could see my previous added role-based groups, but when i try to add a new one they are grayed out with "Role assignable groups are not allowed." on them.

All i could find was an update to MicrosoftDOCS on github to get the documentation changed:
https://github.com/MicrosoftDocs/azure-docs/pull/102870/commits/eab96510be5331bc665872e29c54a681c411...
(from 17 dec 2022)

Do anyone have any additional information on what have changed, when and why?

Im wondering how i should cover these groups now with the licensing.
Maybe its now automatic? (All Role-based groups are automatically assigned P1 to members and if converted to PIM/PAG, it gets a P2 licenses for members?).

Thank you!

1 Reply
There is still no information on this. All my old groups remain with the delegated licenses (from December 2022). But no new groups can have it added to them. However, its not possible to create RBAC (resource) based PIM groups that are not role assignable - these can have the licenses attach to them - but that dosent solve the above issue we have with Azure AD roll assigned PIM groups.