Clients not sending state messages through CMG during remote In-Place Upgrade

Brass Contributor

Hey guys,

We are performing Win10 in-place upgrades from 1803 to 1909 using Task Sequences to people working at home.  We do have a CMG in place, but clients are usually connected to VPN when the TS first starts.  Things run along fine until after the first reboot, and then the SMSTS.LOG is loaded with 80072ee7 status message failures:

egoodman_0-1593000363608.png

The VPN we're using is not always-on, so after the reboot the connection is terminated.  I would presume that the clients would still be able to send their status messages over the CMG, but they don't seem to be.  In most cases, the TS does actually finish "locally" just fine but Deployment Status in the console doesn't update the status.  

LocationServices.log shows the machine switch over to the CMG. ClientLocation.log does flip to 'Client is in Internet' but still has URL entries for the on-prem MP:

egoodman_2-1593002706130.png

The docs indicate that if status messages can't be sent, they are not queued or re-sent, so it's been difficult to easily tell in the Console how things went without reviewing logs individually on each machine.

egoodman_1-1593001673442.png

Can you comment on whether this could be a known issue or a possible configuration problem on our end?  If a configuration problem, any suggestions on what specifically to check?

Thanks so much!

2 Replies
Have you configured a split tunnel for the CMG? Are you putting in a delay or check in the task sequence looking for the VPN connection?

@TheOtherJosh 

There isn't any split tunnel configured as far as I know, but i'm trying to get more info on the VPN configuration (this is at one of our clients).  Since they're not using an always-on VPN, we wanted to allow for the TS upgrade to work whether they were on VPN or not.

I have not put any delays or checks in the TS for the VPN connection itself since we were hoping it wouldn't explicitly be required.  The only thing I've done in an attempt to alleviate the status messages was SMSTSDisableStatusRetry=true if the current MP is not the CMG (this step is after the first reboot)