Deploying Defender - devices take hours to show in Device Inventory.

Copper Contributor

We are new Defender customers with A5 and are onboarding lots of clients each day.  We are noticing that clients are taking a very long time to show in the "Device Inventory" in the cloud console.  I don't think we were having this issue during our PoC phase - clients that ran the onboard script would show almost immediately.  Now it can take several hours or overnight for a client to show up after being onboarded with CM.  I am not sure if this is expected or if I am doing something wrong.  When I look in Device Inventory and sort by "last device update" there haven't been any new updates in about 7 hours (0730AM) - but when I check tomorrow, Device Inventory will show many last device updates occurred between 730AM and now - they just dont show in the console until the next day.

It is pretty frustrating during the rollout phase to try tracking progress of the rollout without being able to find and verify the devices in "Device Inventory" 

I have done some reading on this topic to troubleshoot. I can see in the registry that the client is marking that it has been successfully enrolled.  It seems like the only problem is that it takes a very long time for the console in Azure to reflect the current state.

2 Replies

Hi @Todd Miller,

it can take 24-48 hours for the data to update on the Defender Portal. This delay might be causing the issue you’re experiencing with the Device Inventory not updating in real-time.

If the devices aren’t reporting correctly, you might need to check that the Windows diagnostic data service is set to automatically start and is running on the device. The service might have been disabled by other programs or user configuration changes.

I understand that this can be frustrating, especially during the rollout phase when you’re trying to track the progress. However, it seems like this delay might be expected behavior for the system. 

You can use this links as a reference:
Device Inventory. Security recommendations, slow to update. - Microsoft Community Hub

Troubleshoot Microsoft Defender for Endpoint onboarding issues | Microsoft Learn

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue.
This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item.

If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

Kindest regards,

Leon Pavesic
(LinkedIn)

@LeonPavesic 

That matches our experience.  An overnight delay in the console updates.  This is our first service I’ve used on Azure and I didn’t know that it had this problem with performance.  I guess its normal, but I don’t know how it is acceptable.