Block Downloads, Copy and Paste from M365 Windows Apps on Unmanaged Devices

Copper Contributor

Is it possible to prevent the download, copy and paste of data on Windows 10 Unmanaged devices that have the Office 365 Windows Apps installed? I have been able to get this working with the web-based apps but would also like to apply this to the full windows apps. I have tried creating a access policy in the Defender for Cloud Apps under conditional access but it's not currently working. Any advice greatly appreciated.

4 Replies

@ChrisGrout this should be possible using Defender for Cloud Apps and Purview.  If you assign a site or group label you can used "app enforced restrictions" which is part of SPO.  Set the label policy for sites and groups to allow web-only access, this will prevent the file from being opened in native clients or sync'd.

Use app-enforced restrictions - SharePoint in Microsoft 365 | Microsoft Learn

Keith_Fleming_0-1665693700632.png

Then in combination use a session policy to block copy/paste.

Copy / print can be blocked on the endpoint itself using labels and groups, but the file itself would need to have the labeled applied.

How secure is this? OK the download is blocked but is the data sandboxed or the like in the browser?

@shockotechcom which particular scenario there are a few different ones described above?

Chris, combining app-enforced restrictions and session policies as Keith outlined provides a good data protection foundation. Additionally, I would leverage Sensitivity labels to enable more granular control over copy/paste, download, and access policies based on content types rather than blanket restrictions. Tailoring Sensitivity labels by content makes restrictions smarter - you can dictate that only financial or PII data face restrictions while allowing flexibility for other content. And labels provide helpful auditing trails. This layered model - app restrictions, session policies, and targeted Sensitivity labels - delivers preventative and detective controls for comprehensive data governance. It enforces protection consistently across apps and devices.

Nonetheless, I still advise having backup solutions for your Microsoft 365 data as a last line of defense. Even robust preventative measures can fail, making recovery capabilities critical. Let me know if you want recommendations on backup options.