Outlook Tasks in Microsoft To-Do

Silver Contributor

I have started to give a look to Microsoft To-Do.

I am a (veeery) long time user of Outlook Tasks and I was pleased to see that Outlook Tasks got automatically synchronized in Microsoft To-Do. But I would have expected that Outlook Tasks reminders appeared automatically as To-Do reminders on my iPhone. Unfortunately this seems not to be the case: reminders are indeed set in To-Do but they don't trigger any kind of notification on the iPhone. Moreover, overdue Outlook Tasks don't appear automatically in My Day list in To-Do and it looks like I have to manually add them.

What am I missing?

41 Replies

hi,

i am user my o365 account. the only different thinf is the tasks i am misssing are emailmessages i flagged, since they appear in the tasks list i aasumed they would also go to to-do

i hope i am right to expect this.

regards

titia

AFAIK, at the moment only Tasks are synced from Outlook to To-Do, not flagged emails.

Ok that explanes it. Does anyone know if that feature be released ? Since it is kind of confusing now.
Regards
Titia schwarz
Hi Titia,

Syncing flagged email to To-Do is a planned feature. Please stay tuned. We'll let you know if there's any update.

Thanks,
Candy

Hello,

How do migrate outlook email to To-Do task? I'm using O365 E3 with MS - To-Do.

Thank you.

Isaac

Hi @Candy Ho.

I do hope that syncing flagged email to To-Do will not be mandatory!

I have several customers who are now beginning to use To-Do that will not be happy of this.

Please make it configurable in settings!

Thanks.

Hi, Salvatore and @Candy Ho.  Has the initial issue of To Do completely messing up dates on recurring tasks (and it seems non-recurring tasks) been addressed?  I'd like to know if To Do is safe to use.  Like you Salvatore, I have hundreds of tasks, many of which are recurring, and I can't risk this kind of issue.  Thank you for any help you can provide!

Hi @Beverly Beyer.

The issue appears to have been addressed.

Now I am using To-Do without problems, also if it has very few features, compared with full-fledged Outlook Tasks, but at least it does not mess things up...

Thank you, Salvatore!  I really appreciate your help with this.  Very best wishes!

@Titia Schwarz wrote:

hi,

i am user my o365 account. the only different thinf is the tasks i am misssing are emailmessages i flagged, since they appear in the tasks list i aasumed they would also go to to-do

i hope i am right to expect this.

regards

titia

@Titia Schwarz

I've managed to get this working by using Microsoft Flow integration from Outlook to Microsoft To-Do. I suggest you to try.
The problem is that when you mark the task as completed on To-Do, It doesn't unmark the flag back on the email.

Maybe we can get a workaround for this problem by setting a unmark rule for all emails based on a time trigger or something. I'm still looking for a solution to this last part.

Agree, Tasks has a long way to go. There's currently little similarity with Outlook 2016 (Tasks) and the Tasks app itself. The Outlook version of Tasks is far more detailed and when you try to mix the two you get the issues you refer to. 

@Allan Clarke

I think you mean Microsoft To-Do, don't you? :)

Anyway, I am now using routinely Microsoft To-Do and this is my takeaway:

• To-Do is basically a view of Outlook Tasks: all folders in To-Do are bidirectionally synced with Outlook Tasks folders in EOL. This is a point that is important to grab!
  • In To-Do, you have by default an additional folder called My Day, which is, in turn, a view of items in other To-Do folders. This means that there is not a corresponding folder in Outlook Tasks and that you can add to My Day only tasks that already exist in other folders. (I don't need and don't use My Day.)
  • Outlook Tasks have many more fields than tasks in To-Do, but such fields are not scrambled when you manipulate tasks in To-Do, which is good.
  • Notifications in To-Do now work regularly (at least in the IOS app).
  • Outlook Tasks are not scrambled anymore by To-Do.
  • AFAIK, To-Do is the best way available to use Outlooks Tasks on an iPhone and it is free.

Just my two cents...

Yep, sorry, problem between keyboard & brain. Meant Microsoft To Do!

Salvatore, thanks for sticking with this issue.  Appears to-do now works and Im giving it a go.

Of interest, I'm also now starting to switch over to one-note for managing my projects and volumes of notes.  I have successfully created an outlook task in one-note, which then syncs to both outlook and Microsoft to-do.  That type of integration is very useful for those that might use it.

Regards,

Microsoft To-App is not synced with Mobile Outlook app however still able to login to https://to-do.microsoft.com in the Managed Browser with company id..

Any thoughts
Wow! 05-02-2017 and now it's 08-18-2018 and the sync between Outlook tasks and To-Do tasks is every bit as broken as it was back then!

This is an amazingly long time to be 'actively working on a fix' and not succeeding, don't you think?

Microsoft bought Wunderlist and merged it into To-Do, so Wunderlist no longer works in Outlook. <sigh>

And NOW you've been waiting for ELEVEN years!

As of TODAY, To-Do is NOT SAFE! Do not use it!

I just uninstalled it again, after another failed test.

Just TODAY, To-Do began messing up my Outlook tasks, so I uninstalled it.