Migration from Google Apps: any hints, tips, recommendations?

MVP

Hi all,

A new customer of mine has asked to help him on migrating from Google Apps to Office 365 and I would like to take this opportunity to define a migration approach so I would like to know any hints, tips, recommendations you could have about this topic. For instance, I would like to know what information do you consider key to ask the customer in order to define an accurate project plan and right timing to do the project. To my mind comes typical questions such as:

• Google Apps service being used by the customer: Gmail, Google Calendar, Google Drive, Google Sites, etc.
  • The number of Gmail mailboxes to be moved and the total size of these mailboxes.
  • All the details about how e-mail is configured: aliases defined, distribution lists created, etc.
  • The volume of the GDrive information to be migrated / moved to SharePoint Online / OneDrive for Business and how this information is used and accessed by users.

I would also appreciate your recommendation in regards of migration approach:

• For instance, to migrate GDrive files to SPO / ODFB use Sharegate.
  • To migrate Gmail Inboxes, you can rely on the IMAP approach or just use a third party tool such as MigrationWiz.

Thanks in advance

22 Replies

Also here are some tips on what does and what does not get migrated with the BitTitan tool: BitTitan

What migrates and what doesn’t for Google Mail\Vault to O365 migrations https://community.bittitan.com/kb/Pages/What%20items%20are%20migrated%20with%20MigrationWiz.aspx    

• Google Apps: Inbox, Folders/Labels, Email, Muted Email (as regular email), Contacts, Calendars (including links for Google Hangouts within calendar meetings).

o    Note: Links for Google Hangouts are a new default feature added to Google Meeting. Microsoft Office 365 doesn't have the corresponding property to map. Therefore, when migrating to Office 365, the links for Google Hangouts are added to the beginning of the meeting description body text on Office 365.

• Google Drive: Folders, Shared Folders in your Drive, permissions, Google Apps native files except Google Forms, Code Files (Xml, cs, cpp, h, etc.), Documents (docx, doc, odt, csv, pdf, etc.), Images (png, jpg, etc.), Executables (exe), Videos (avi, mp4, etc.), Audio Files (mp3, wave, etc.). Typical Destinations: OneDrive for Business, Google Drive.
  • Google Sites: Files on Google Sites that are of the "File cabinet" page type can be migrated using MigrationWiz to SharePoint Online document libraries. The migration includes both documents and document permissions.​
  • Google Vault (Source Only): Folders, Email

https://community.bittitan.com/kb/Pages/What%20items%20are%20not%20migrated%20with%20MigrationWiz.as...

Thank you @Deleted looking forward to do it again soon :)

I want to share this story on a 5000 user Google to O365 migration that may provide some insights.