SOLVED

Mac Mail - Outlook Exchange issues

Copper Contributor

I'm having a weird issue with my Outlook, 365, Exchange account in Mac Mail. This only started being a problem in the last two day. My inbox won't refresh. New messages don't come in. Messages filed or deleted on another Mac or iPhone do not move/remove. The only way I can get the Inbox to fresh to match my other devices, including the browser window version is to go Rebuild under the Messages menu in Mac Mail. I can send just fine. Clicking in to folders seems just fine as far as showing and matching what is inside. Its JUST a problem with the Inbox never updating without support. 

The Mac Pro having the problem is on 10.15.7. My MacBook Pro Late 2019 running the same OS was having the problem all day yesterday but it has since be updated to Big Sur and now is working correctly. So seems to only be a Catalina issue but I'm nearly 100% sure it was a problem before I updated the Mac Pro to 10.15.7 yesterday. 

I need to hold off on updating the Pro to Big Sur just yet so hoping to get a fix until then.

41 Replies

@DocEames My issue occurred before up grading to Big Sur, so it existed previously with Catalina. I honestly think I recall having this issue years ago, different employer and like 7 years ago but on the whole, I've not had issues where Mail never seemed like a poor alternative to the Outlook app. In my entirety, it's been probably 4 days total that I experienced the issue. Have you tried clearing the trash/junk maybe even old folders of saved mails and attachments? I found that the app CleanMyMac X has a feature to go through and remove the local copies of attachments to email, which in my business can be large files. The file still lives on the server so if I open an old saved email with an attachment that the local copy has been removed it automatically re-downloads the attachment. 

Not sure if i mentioned on this thread before, but my wife's company iMac she works on from home now, if she runs the Outlook app, after some point, or load on the computer, the screen will blink out, on off, white and black flashes and feels like a graphics card going bad. BUT shut down the Outlook app and problem goes away. She now uses Outlook in a web browser and I keep telling her I'll help her set up the Map app to do the Exchange account. HA

@DocEames  Hi, I struggled with this for years ( still do for people I support but I use Outlook) and Apple has neglected the Mail App. My current issues magically went away after I escalated with MSFT and Apple. If only they would reveal the cause we could all jump to the band-aid solution immediately and have them implement it each time instead of the support desk being totally unaware each time. It doesn't permanently won't fix the issue but would expedite the resolution each time.  Outlook works because it uses a different protocol to retrieve email and if you flip the "New Outlook" switch, in outlook for MAC,  it looks very much like Apple Mail. (Sorry, I had to throw that out there. ) Then just use the native apple contacts and calendar because I find Apple Mail user don't like the fact that the calendar and contacts in Outlook are a tab at the bottom of Outlook for MAC and you can't pop out the separate Windows.  You do need to make changes/additions  from the Outlook Calendar and contacts tab or through or your phone; I've seen issue otherwise with updates.  So I recommend using the latest  Outlook and uncheck Mail in the Internet settings and just ( my experience not documented anywhere ) leave Contacts and Calendar. If you are stuck on Apple Mail make sure to keep you item counts down to less then ~20K for each folder, no subfolders if you can help it and the size  below 15GB.  You need to rebuild from scratch each time this happens. The one off rebuild brings down the new mail but will not continue work; you have to hit rebuild every minute which is not useful. I wish I knew the root cause and I know someone at MSFT or Apple engineering does but perhaps they blame each other? ( long history their)

@DocEames 

Thanks. I updated for Big Sur 11.1 to Big Sur 11.2 and for the time being Mail seem to work fine with the Exchange account. Mail keep coming in without me having to restart Mail to receive new mails.

Guess Mail had an issue they fixed. Keeping my fingers crossed that it stays this way.

A short and sad update.

As of today Mail is not fetching / showing any new mails on the account. I had to restart Mail again.

@skoci73 

I experienced this problem only in the last couple of days. I decided to clean out some old emails and removed some unused folders etc. The only other thing was a MacOS security update, but I'm convinced that it was playing around with old emails and the resultant rebuilding of indexes within Mac mail that created the problem. I have no problem with the non-exchange accounts I have, nor with the same mails on iOS. It's just the MacOS Mail App. Like others Outlook works. FWIW my Exchange email reports as only being a bit under 1.0 Gbyte which Outlook agrees so I don't think this is about file sizes. I'm on Catalina 10.15.7 but its obviously not just Catalina. 

@Allan2021 Okay so I was intending to upgrade to Big Sur and just did it. It seems to have fixed the email problem for now, but I noted that this did not stick for others. I'm on Big Sur 11.2 now. Fingers crossed. I think that the fact that an upgrade within the local machine fixes the problem, even if only temporary for some, points the finger towards something on the Apple side of things.

@commanderclif I am having the same issue on MacBook Air running Big Sur. Two problems: new messages do not load unless I use Rebuild, and often the message headers load but the content is empty until I quit and restart Mail. This only happens in Exchange; my gmail accounts work properly.  Effectively Mail is useless/highly effortful to use right now and I've very reluctantly moved to Outlook, where I am not having either of these problems. I hope that Microsoft will very quickly address the sync issue with Exchange.

@commanderclif 

Having exactly the same problem, comes and goes intermittently without warning.  Its only occurring for my Office 365 mail, all my other mail accounts work fine.  Am being forced to use Outlook to be sure of getting Office Mail, which is not good!

@commanderclif Just for additional information - I'm still running Mojave, and this is now the second time I've been bitten by this. The first time was 2 days of trying things and googling for solutions - and then overnight it suddenly worked again. This time not even restarting the Mail app can be counted on for restoring functionality. My gmail account still works as well as ever, so it is definitely an Apple<->Microsoft issue, and not just Apple or just Microsoft. And since it's a joint issue both companies are telling you it's the other, and we, the users, appear to be SOL.

@commanderclif  @Pernille-Eskebo 

The same thing has happened with all of our office computers. We picked the most reliable product (Apple) and the most reliable office apps (MS Office) for our business  so it eludes me that in 2021 these issues occur and they are not being addressed.       Apple and MS - Hello out there....   there are tens of thousands of businesses that have bought into your products.   Let's get on this!

@rjgrp @commanderclif 

We're having this problem too... all Mail app users on Office 365. If you launch Console on any of the Macs having this problem, search for "subscription" and you might see "EWSStreamingSubscription" logs with error "EWSErrorMessage=You have exceeded the available subscriptions for your account. Remove unnecessary subscriptions and try your request again". What we've seen so far might be related to EWS throttling mentioned here. Microsoft modified/removed the limit for us temporarily last year but it re-enabled in the new year. When our server team reached out to them again, Microsoft said they no longer had the ability to set it, and despite escalating it to their enterprise support, we reached a dead end. Pretty much we were advised to use Outlook or reach out to Apple support. Here's the last/closing email from Microsoft:

"As a quick recap and conclusion mentioned by my TL, Microsoft is not controlling this, we cannot make changes regarding this and in order to move forward with this issue you would need to engage Apple support and see if they can change the EWS subscription limit on their native mail client or reduce the TTL of subscription request."

"Microsoft cannot change the EWS subscription limit or reduce the TTL of those subscription request for Apple. Apple has to change those since it is using their native mail client app. It is not configurable for EXO, please reach out to Apple regarding this specific query."

@sam_i_am 

Right on! Thats pretty interesting. I'm more of a front end guy than back end server stuff but I think I'm following along. If MS isn't going to control/limit the EWS pings/connections then on the Apple side, an over abundance of those coming in could get blocked until everything is cleared/reset. Is that the gist? If I have the issue again in the future (over three months with no issues now) then I'll certainly pop open console to look for this message. Question would be, is there a user based fix, maybe through Activity Monitor or Terminal to clear out the subscriptions to get a fresh set up? THANKS!

Correct. I don't know how to clear/reset things on the client side but Apple Enterprise Support suggested decreasing the frequency of mail checking from Automatic to maybe every minute or 5 minutes to see if that would help avoid reaching the subscription limit. Aside from that, they offered no other troubleshooting steps aside from working with their cross platform support team that could work with Microsoft support. That is my next step. As a possible workaround if the user doesn't want to move to Outlook, you could enable IMAP for the email sync and then Exchange to sync contacts and calendar, but leave email syncing off. We did this for one user just to get her by.

@sam_i_am 

Hi - Wondering if there was an outcome you can share? We're dealing with this issue now.

I've collected logs from some of the affected computers and have sent them to Apple. Their Product Engineering team is reviewing them but so far, no resolution. I've been asked to provide additional logs with HTTP logging pre-enabled before running sysdiagnose to generate the logs. I'm waiting for one of the users to provide that so I can send it over to Apple.

@sam_i_am I am really surprised that Apple and Microsoft have not been able to get together over this issue. There must be thousands with this issue. Come on Microsoft and Apple, sort this out.

Hi.
Having same issue after upgrading to big sur.
Any feedback from apple?
Do you have a guide on how to view the logs? Would fiddler or burpsuite work?
Thank you

This has been driving me crazy for years. Tried ALL solutions I could find online, nothing worked. Yet… I found a workaround that seems to work!

The trick was to create 2 different accounts in macOS Settings:
• IMAP account for handling just mail
• Exchange account for everything else (contacts, calendar, reminders, notes)

+ You need to go to Outlook online > Settings > Mail > Sync email, and enable "Send event invitations in iCalendar format" to keep macOS Calendar working.

All is working flawlessly now... So relieved.

@NicolasRucine Interesting. Never thought to input the same account two different ways. I only have my one Exchange account set to sync Mail and Calendars. I've been lucky I guess that I've not had the mail issue in some time now, for me keeping the size the account grew to seemed to help. So I'm currently in "if ain't broken don't fix it" mode but your suggestion is going to be the first thing I try when the problem shows up again! THANKS!