SOLVED

Member of a Group, but not Joined

Copper Contributor

We originally created some Groups within Teams. Having reviewed some guidance I found out that these Teams are hidden by default in Outlook.

I've run the PowerShell script to unhide these groups, and I can now see them in my contacts using the OWA client (but not a native client).

E.g.

Set-UnifiedGroup -Identity "MyGroup" -HiddenFromAddressListsEnabled $false 

I also can't see the groups I've joined in the Groups pane within Outlook (on any platform).

When I look at the Groups within the People area it says I don't belong as a member or owner to any groups. However, within the same People section, I can see that I am listed as a member / owner of multiple groups when I look at the members list within the 'All Groups' section.

Is there something else I need to do in order to get these groups to work as though they had been created without using Teams?

5 Replies
best response confirmed by StephenKennedy (Copper Contributor)
Solution

You need to also toggle the -HiddenFromExchangeClientsEnabled flag.

Perfect! That resolved the issue for me. Thanks @Vasil Michev.

Hi@Vasil Michev 

I am having the same problem. I am a member of a Group. I can join it in Outlook - Outlook confirms that I have joined. The Groups appear in the side bar. Then a moment later they DISAPPEAR as if I've never joined.

I keep hearing about the "Power Shell" but I have no idea what that is or how to use it. Can you help?

I might also add, that once they disappear if I go back to join them again, it's as if I never joined. In other words, the it does not say "Joined" it says "Join."

@Vasil Michev 

Apologies for the necro-post but I have run both the following commands in Exchange Online PowerShell:

Set-UnifiedGroup -Identity "<groupname>" -HiddenFromExchangeClientsEnabled:$false

Set-UnifiedGroup -Identity "<groupname>" -HiddenFromAddressListsEnabled:$false

and am getting the output:

WARNING: The command completed successfully but no settings of '<groupname>_groupID' have
been modified.

It worked for one group which did eventually show up in Outlook, but I'm getting the above output for all other groups. I am an owner of ALL of these groups, created them all, and the directory shows I am in fact an owner of them all, however the button in the group description says "Request to Join"

This is true for almost all users as most users are part of multiple groups and not all of them are showing in their group lists.

Any help would be appreciated, and any acknowledgement from the Microsoft community or other  partners that this is a known issue/bug would be sanity-confirming.

Thank you

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by StephenKennedy (Copper Contributor)
Solution

You need to also toggle the -HiddenFromExchangeClientsEnabled flag.

View solution in original post