OneNote Keeps Jumping to the top of the Page

Brass Contributor

This is probably the most annoying bug out there. This issue has been ongoing for years now and it seems like Microsoft is not fixing this issue. I have searched through multiple threads and I haven't found any solution for this...

Microsoft OneNote constantly jumps to the top of the page when looking at an inserted PDF. This usually happens when I'm scrolling with my MacBook Pro trackpad.

I'm begging anyone who has a solution to this to speak up. It is extremely annoying having to scroll back to a specific page on a 40+ page document. Sometimes, it happens every 30 seconds or so and it makes the user experience almost unbearable at this point. The only reason I haven't switched away from OneNote is that I have all my other notes on this program. PLEASE HELP!!

Details: Microsoft OneNote 16.45

MacBook Pro: MacOS Catalina 10.15.2

25 Replies
 @Hosssss

my workaround:

if i work at one section of a pdf i use my mouse (Draw/Selection/Select-tool)
and click next to the section in empty space to move this writing-cursor "|" that blinks repetitively.

i have observed that after hitting Ctrl-Z onenote jumps to this spot where "you left off"
(if you would have been writing with a keyboard)

i hope it helps :)

Good Luck at your doings!

OneNote Version 2310 Build 16.0.16924.20054
Windows 10 Home Version 10.0.19045 Build 19045
Tablet: Huion H640P; Driver: OpenTabletDriver

@Hosssss 

Here we are in February 2024........still having the same issue. I was just looking online for help but instead I found many, many pages of complaints about this obnoxious problem. Why isn't this fixed yet?

It seems to happen to most people when they're annotating with a pen and zooming in and out with fingers. When just reading, use your mouse and it might not happen to you. But when you're actually takings NOTES in oneNOTE, you'll probably still have to deal with it. A few people have mentioned some coping strategies (including me) on this thread. Give them a shot.
thank you for your thoughtful reply! i only use onenote for handwritten notes on an iPad, usually on a PDF...rarely typing or even on my computer with a mouse. it's SO frustrating. maybe i missed it, but i don't see any workarounds for using an ipad and pencil while taking notes on PDFs...do you? thanks again!
I don't seem to have the problem you all describe, so maybe we have different settings. Have you tried inserting your pdf as background printout?
I hope it helps, it is the only obvious thing I can think of.
Cheers

I think I was able to reproduce the issue, it seems to be an issue with tooltips that show when the user is scrolling. To reproduce o the following:

- Create a long document with multiple paragraphs that is about 4-times your screen size so you can scroll

- Add markers to all paragraphs (e.g. checkboxes: Ctrl+1)

- Scroll to the end

- Click somewhere in the last paragraph to position the cursor

- Hover one of the checkboxes so that the tooltip shows e.g. "Tasks", don't move your mouse!

- Scroll up and move your mouse cursor to the right (while scrolling!) so that the tooltip vanishes

- Bug: The document will now jump to a different scroll position

This screenshot shows the problematic tooltip. Mouse cursor was over the checkbox next to the tooltip.

Problematic tooltipProblematic tooltip

As a workaround, one can try to click outside of the textfield and make sure to not hover over any content while scrolling, so keep your mouse to the right.

Version was:

- Build 2403

Using a Logitech Mouse, so maybe Logitech Options also plays a role with this bug.