SOLVED

Office 2019 Pro Plus Licensing

Copper Contributor

Hi All

I'm seeking guidance on the licensing procedure for Office 2019, particularly in relation to Outlook. I'm part of an organization where certain staff members have Office 2019. Is there a distinction between an application license and a user license for Outlook? Some of the general accounts utilize an A1 license and encounter compatibility issues with 2019 Outlook. However, my colleagues mention that we possess a 2019 license. Consequently, is there a separate license designated for the applications and another for the user? My understanding is that the A1 license doesn't encompass client applications and is solely for online use. Therefore, would individuals requiring access to the Outlook client need an E3 license?

TIA

3 Replies

Hi @Hmicha91,

Microsoft Office 2019, including Outlook, follows a "per device" licensing model, where each license is assigned to a single physical device. This allows the use of the software on the licensed device.

https://download.microsoft.com/download/3/D/4/3D42BDC2-6725-4B29-B75A-A5B04179958B/Licensing_Microso...

The A1 license primarily caters to online use and does not include client applications. However, there's a variant called Microsoft 365 A1 for devices, which does include desktop apps but requires a one-time payment per device.

A1 license for Faculty - can't access applications - Microsoft Community
Understand subscriptions and licenses in Microsoft 365 for business | Microsoft Learn
Support all learners with the new Microsoft 365 A1 for devices license | Microsoft EDU

If users require client applications like Outlook, they would need a different license, such as the E3 license. The E3 license allows users to install and activate Microsoft 365 Apps, including Outlook, on up to 5 desktops/laptops, 5 tablets, and 5 mobile devices.

Overview of licensing and activation in Microsoft 365 Apps - Deploy Office | Microsoft Learn

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue.
This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item.

If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

Kindest regards,

Leon Pavesic
(LinkedIn)

Hi Leon

Thanks for your response. Just so im clear, even if they have a license for 2019 for the device, they will need an E3 license in order to utilize Outlook on the device?

Kind Regards
best response confirmed by Hmicha91 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi @Hmicha91,

yes, even if a device has a license for Office 2019, a user would need a separate Microsoft 365 E3 license to utilize Outlook (365) on that device.

This is because the Office 2019 license covers the Office suite itself, including applications like Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, but does not include Outlook as part of the Microsoft 365 services.

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue.
This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item.

Kindest regards,

Leon Pavesic
(LinkedIn)

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Hmicha91 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi @Hmicha91,

yes, even if a device has a license for Office 2019, a user would need a separate Microsoft 365 E3 license to utilize Outlook (365) on that device.

This is because the Office 2019 license covers the Office suite itself, including applications like Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, but does not include Outlook as part of the Microsoft 365 services.

Kindest regards,

Leon Pavesic
(LinkedIn)

View solution in original post